Fuel Pump or ?

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the old girl on an overnight trip from Federal Way to Goldendale for a Sunday dirt bike race. About 200 miles each way. Truck was loaded down as shown in the picture below. Seemed to be running great. Slow up the passes, but not bad. I started to doubt my water temperature gauge that I just installed as it rarely moved from 190 after warmed up. It would go down to about 180 going down, but only up to 200 on the hills. Some long pulls that I am fairly sure I heard my fan clutch lock up on. I will need to try to verify this, maybe a laser temp gun? Btw the sensor is where the stock one normally mounts.
Then as we were only about 20 miles from our destination truck started running crappy. Almost like it was running out of fuel. I switched fuel tanks and then pulled into the next gas station and fueled up. Truck continued to get worse, but it was on and off. Smoking and acting like it had air in lines or was running out of fuel. The last 5 mile was on a hilly gravel road and we barely made it up some of the hills. I could see no new leaks or anything amiss. I was thinking FSV stuck between tanks. We made it (about 11pm) got camp set up and got some sleep. The next day I checked it over in daylight and still couldn't see anything new. Went racing, after all that's what the trip was for [emoji3]. So on the trip home Lil seemed to be running ok at first, but it was slow going gravel road. After hitting the pavement it started acting up again. Uphill was painful. It even started dieing out a couple times. Got underneath and banged on the FSV, no change. The engine seemed really hot too. Was about to camp out for the night. Then I wired in the small Carter fuel pump that has been still in line but unused. That did it, it started to clear up and the ran just fine all the way home. We even saw a car fire on the way. So what do you guys think? Did the almost new mechanical fuel pump die or malfunction or did the electric fuel pump just over come a failed FSV or other fuel system issue?
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be the first failed “new” mechanical lift pump.

gandalf

Reaction score
If you suspect the new stock lift pump, also check your oil level. If the diaphragm breaks it will pump fuel into the oil pan. If that happens the engine may still run, but run poorly. OTOH, the electric pump working well would seem to rule out a torn diaphragm.

It's real easy to check the oil level, though, so I'd do that out of course, just for S&Gs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but.. Did you change the fuel filter lately? Sounds like you are running out of fuel pulling heavy on the throttle but.. Running slowly it runs fine. Check fuel delivery pressure on injection pump side of the filter.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should clarify, the mechanical pump isn't brand new, it probably has about 2,000 miles on it. Enough I would have thought it okay, but who knows...
I am aware of the diaphragm issue, which is why the Carter pump was not powered up, since it is prior to the mech pump.
Fuel filter was just done less than a month ago as I did the transmission fluid injection pump treatment.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and I do have to keep a close eye on the oil as I have a good oil pan leak that I need to pull the motor for. No increase in level.