Direct injection head designs

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know DI heads have been brought up in the past and that they would cost alot. I was thinking we might be able to pool our combined knowledges to at least design in CAD some suitable DI heads...

I know the powerstroke pistons could be used with their micky mouse tops, would DI heads and these pistons just mimic a powertroke?

just an idea I've been throwing around! I've been reading into it a ton, still learning a lot too - but thought I might toss the idea on here and see what happens since I know theres been prior discussion but no firm details on it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The injector placement is the facter I'm concerned about. We really don't have a lot of room for anything near the valves. We really couldn't place and injector between the intake and exhaust valve. Making a plug for the precup is the easy part if your going to use an oem head. Maybe contacting the overseas builders of the new heads would be an idea....:sly That would be China and just maybe India... I know China is a big supplier of the idi 7.3 heads...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good lead so far, thanks! I'm still doing my homework on it, it might just be a pipe dream... but worth a shot. I know having a custom fabbed from top to bottom would be alot but customizing a old head might not be soo bad

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. You want to make a IDI head, in to a DI head, using the same injectors?

This brings up the question: does a OSB 7.3 PSD head fit on a 7.3 IDI block? However at that point you might as well just get a PSD 7.3 to swap in.

PZ

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Pretty sure you'd need the PS injection system to make it work so as said you might as well get a PS engine.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. You want to make a IDI head, in to a DI head, using the same injectors?

This brings up the question: does a OSB 7.3 PSD head fit on a 7.3 IDI block? However at that point you might as well just get a PSD 7.3 to swap in.

PZ

No. Completely different engines, they only share being 7.3L.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
ok.... this may be a dumb idea, but what about having the precup mostly filled and shooting the injector farther into the head?? basically just leaving a small dish where the precup was......

a "hemi" IDI head LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lead so far, thanks! I'm still doing my homework on it, it might just be a pipe dream... but worth a shot.

You better burn the midnight oil, as the saying goes, doing that home work. I think your right on the pipe dream.

I know having a custom fabbed from top to bottom would be alot but customizing a old head might not be soo bad

Better do some homework on what it takes to make a casting, then let alone the machining it would take. The cost would be unreasonable, just to make a prototype.

What would be the advantage of trying to customize an old head for DI?

There are so many things to do to an IDI to up the HP and preformance.
Turbo, downpipe, larger exhaust, intake, intercooler, customized IP, matched and higher pop injectors, forged rods, head bolts and timing just to name a few.
Just wondering.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Efficiency to put it simple. Making a 100% custom head would cost too much indeed, but modding one might not be so bad. All that work just to catch up to a DI block. I like my idi but if I'm gonna spend that much for performance it would be better spent for a high performance motor.

PSD head were too short if i remember.

Not sure what you could fill the precup with :eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
PSD heads are longer than ours. The precup filling could be just some cast iron or even some machined inconel. Now the fabrication of a longer injector tip is what needs to be looked at. Then the longer glow plugs. Then running a set of psd pistons. From all I have found out the psd pistons are the same bore and wrist pin size but... The deep dish in the crown is way differant from ours. So maybe the dropped compression will be a built in bonus....:dunno I kinda worry about the injection not being close to the center top of the piston. Seems the injection may be pushing the piston sideways in the bore causing some skirt scuffing. This may be way off on my concerns because once the fuel in in the cylinder it ignites so that might be all ther is to the issue...:dunno So... A set of idi turbo rods. Then a set of psd pistons... Then a longer idi injector tip. Then a precup replacer... Seems really easy with not much work...:D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone, not sure who it was, 2-3 years ago, I'm thinking on the TDS, made a plug gage .040 oversize for the precup opening, then used that gage to grind out the opening so they were all the same size. He claimed it made a world of difference.

Does anyone that was/is a TDS member remember that?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would open up a whole other can of worms modifying the heads to DI. The injection pressure on DI motors are thousands of psi higher than on your IDI. Also, IDI injectors shoot fuel striaght down into the cup, DI injectors shoot the fuel into a wide cone over the cup on the piston. What pump and injectors could you use to solve these issues?

Heath

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO anything's possible, but I have a feeling that, for all the R&D work and materials cost, you might be better off taking a PSD and converting it to mechanical injection. IIRC a kit exists to do that, but it isn't cheap...but, might be cheaper than getting new heads cast...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fabrication of a longer injector tip is what needs to be looked at. The deep dish in the crown is way differant from ours. I kinda worry about the injection not being close to the center top of the piston.
If we filled the precup couldn't be bore a hole from the old injector to near-center like a straw? Or would it just recollect on the filler material and trickle out? Looking at the pop test images I would guess a 'straw' would work just fine. That is, if I understand this properly. Compression might be wierd with that though. could always just thread a hole deeper into the head so that the stock injectors sit deeper... but I'm just thinking up some ideas - not sure if they are feasible with filler.

The crown in the PSD pistons is where the gp and injector sit TDC isn't it?

--
And I'd rather get a maxxforce/dt engine than a PS :p

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Just take a powerstroke and do away w the HEUI injection system. I think it would be more cost effective and net more HP