Help Unravel The Mysteries of my IDIT

groovemonster

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and I gotta say, this is one of the best forums out there! Y'all are great and knowledgeable and most of all, respectful (as far as i've seen).

I have several questions I am turning to you help me figure out.

Here's the details...1986 F250 XLT Lariat 2WD with 105,000 original miles. I put over 30K miles on it myself in the nearly 4 years I've owned it. I love this truck! I drive it daily and hope I never need to replace it!

With that said it has a ATS Turbo on it, how can i identify which turbo it is?

How can I know or figure out if the heads have been studded?

I don't do any heavy hauling and I don't mind the C6 transmission. It works perfectly, but i was pondering putting a stall converter and shift kit into it. Whats the best combination of stall and shift kits for a regular daily driver where reliability is more important than rolling coal and being cool? Besides, cool passed me by long ago LOL

I will post pics .... see below

groovemonster

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the turbo. I have more if any are needed for ID

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and I gotta say, this is one of the best forums out there! Y'all are great and knowledgeable and most of all, respectful (as far as i've seen).
We're all here to learn and help out where we can. As for disrespectful people, the worst ones don't stick around very long. The admins kick them off pretty quickly and that is GREAT! We don't need that kind of attitude around here.
Your turbo is a 093. That's the best that was offered by ATS (at least as far as I'm concerned). As for studs, look at the hardware that attaches your heads. Bolts will have a 12 point bolt head. Studs will have a nut with threads sticking up over the top of the nut. Here's what my studs looked like before the engine went back into the truck.

groovemonster

Reaction score
Thanks IDIBronco, that helps get me going in the right direction. I have called a dozen diesel shops and no one will work on my truck. This makes me my own mechanic by default. I will check for those studs In a couple weeks when I'm back under the hood.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have called a dozen diesel shops and no one will work on my truck.
This is why most of us do our own work. Even better is when you call up a "diesel shop" to ask about something and they say "you have a what?". Then the best answer is "I have a diesel that you don't plug anything but the block heater in to".