Died!

geno8769

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday morning my truck started! Put it in reverse, let the clutch out and it died!

Cranked good but no fire! Figured it was a fuel issue.

Got home and drain a little off the fuel filter and got black specs in the fuel!

Can/where should I put a cheap temporary filter before my expensive filter? What should I use?

Thanks for all comments and suggestions!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you getting fuel to the filter now? Any air in the filter (open the schrader valve while someone is cranking it over)? You can add a filter in the supply line coming from the tank selector valve on the driver's side frame rail. But, the factory hose is nylon (blue supply, grey return) and not friendly to plugging in a filter. You can get some good rubber fuel hose like Gates or Goodyear in 3/8 inside diameter and replace that nylon line and add a prefilter there.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Black specs don't mean your fuel is contaminated. Just means something is in it. Could be lots of differant things. Maybe its the fuel pickup shower heads in the tanks. Or the lift pump is going bad.... My feelings are telling me the lift pump let go. Try cranking it over with the schrader valve open. That will tell you if the lift pump is able to push fuel to the filter.

geno8769

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced fuel tank selector valve, lift pump, ip, and injectors about 6000 miles ago! That's why this is a little aggravating! I drive this truck 100 miles a day, so I was extremely thankful that it died in the driveway!

I didn't get home from work until late tonight, so I am gonna check the lift pump tomorrow! Thanks again!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced fuel tank selector valve, lift pump, ip, and injectors about 6000 miles ago! That's why this is a little aggravating! I drive this truck 100 miles a day, so I was extremely thankful that it died in the driveway!

I didn't get home from work until late tonight, so I am gonna check the lift pump tomorrow! Thanks again!

Let us know what you find.;Sweet

Heath

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I use a perma cool filter from Summit, about $35 for the assembly then $15 for the filters. They have a water separator built in as well. Have worked well for me over the past 5 or so years

geno8769

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the filter, and after I cranked it it started up! I emptied the old filter out it had black flecks in it!

I then shut her down and now I need to put an auxiliary filter tomorrow!

Did you put the perma cool filter in the same location Heath said?

Does the nylon fuel line crush when you attach the rubber fuel hose?

Thanks!