Did I mess anything up?

78loadstar

Reaction score
Needed to put new rear caliper on my daily driver. Snow and cold so I turned on ignition on my 7.3 to take it out of gear to push it forward to get the back of my daily driver into the shop. No injectors in engine so I couldn't drive it forward. New injectors from moosebuddies coming this week, but I digress. Any way after I replaced caliper I went to push the 7.3 back where it was before I started. I then realized I left the ignition switch in the on position for the two hours I spent on the other truck. My question is did I screw anything up by leaving the switch on?

Dennis

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
should be fine. if anything charge up the batteries, but they probably aren't too low after only 2 hrs

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a stock IDI there is nothing that could be hurt by leaving the ignition on for 2 hours. Only some slight battery drain from circuits activating and if the fan was running it draws a lot of current.
Should be good to go!

78loadstar

Reaction score
Good news guys, my first diesel so I wasn't sure. Only real concern I had was the glow plug circuit getting screwed up. I couldn't think of anything else being messed up but I knew this was the place to find out. Thanx

Dennis

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got rear disc on your '90?? that is cooool. Did you change the axle or do aftermarket kit?

78loadstar

Reaction score
You got rear disc on your '90?? that is cooool. Did you change the axle or do aftermarket kit?
Sorry, misunderstanding. '90 is drum. '01 work truck has the disc I was working on. I am too old school to make a change like that. Prefer drum on the '90 to the disc on '01.
Dennis

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
After the ignition has been on for a few minutes the glow plugs cycle off. Thats the great parts of having the solid state system. you did not harm anything. Remember we have two huge batteries starting these extremely high compression engines. Its 21 to 1 or normally around 450 lbs cranking pressure. Mine actually is 530 lbs cranking pressure. This is why when the ignition shut off these engines suddenly stop turning. Its another reason to make sure the fan clutch nut is tight to about 175 ft lbs too...