did i just screw myself

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
There are alignment marks on the gears in question. I know of one person who attests to being able to put them back correctly using a mirror--I think it's one of the ones that is on a telescoping handle. I have a very good drawing of the marks but I am at a complete loss as to how my wifes scanner works. If no one has posted them before she gets home, I'll have her help me and post the picture for you.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I talked him thru the quick procedure, It should be fine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooo..... We act first, THEN ask questions eh? Do you work for the government by chance?

A classic screw up. Don't feel too bad. The path your on is well trod.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, I don't think he realized ho large the IP gear actually is, and that he can't see the markings on the cam gear below. That said, I got an IP with the housing and gear still attached to it in my buddy's garage, and said buddy's truck naturally don't run... Spare IP and dead batteries will do that
;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Go get em Russ... But post back exactly whats going on. Seems to be lots-o-confusion here with the nominclature....

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Your buddy in school is not learning about older stuff. Yes you are mildly screwed. You have to bring the engine up on the TDC mark on the balancer on no.1 compression then look in the cover to find the timing mark for the iP gear then mark it and line it back up, then put the cover back on and then reassemble...

Bottom line is you NEVER pull the casting off the block for an IP swap, just the little cover and the 3 bolts.
we are here for you

sorry off the subject but ya you are correct they dont teach you old stuff in a diesel school its all the new stuff i went to a tech school from 04-06 and didnt learn to much until i actually went into the feild
what they tell you is you wont see them ever that was the biggest bunch of BS ive ever herd expecially when i got my first job as a (diesel mechanic)LOL and current

Last edited:

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
update.... got it all fixed and new ip in and runs like a top!!! I want to thank everyone who helped me especially Russ(Typ 4) for talking on the phone and telling step by step how to fix the gear problem. THIS SITE ROCKS!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are welcome, I really didnt want to drive to albany today ,but I would have. Thats what we do, I would make you buy a beer but being a student you are probably broke, wait I dont think being a student has anything to do with that. LOL

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
none taken russ. Im a mechanic long before Im a technition. I do the job right, when its warranty i do the job fords way, those arent always the same, I get paid by the hour at work though so it all pans out in the end. lol.

glad to hear you got it going oneton. now you know one less thing to do on your truck, there are many more to come.

punk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online