did i just screw myself

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
well i decided to put my new ip in..... i didnt have a book for my truck but my buddy(who is in diesel school) said he would give me a hand. We un bolted the filler neck for the oil and unhooked all the lines at the top of injectors... when we pulled it out he unbolted the cover on the front of the filler neck and took off the 3 bolts in front holding the ip in... and there is a big gear in there that slid out!!!! how do i put it back in the right spot???? did that just completely screw my timing and all that Sh**??? i really need help from some pro's here.... this is my only vehicle.... how do i finish the job???? thanks:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your buddy in school is not learning about older stuff. Yes you are mildly screwed. You have to bring the engine up on the TDC mark on the balancer on no.1 compression then look in the cover to find the timing mark for the iP gear then mark it and line it back up, then put the cover back on and then reassemble...

Bottom line is you NEVER pull the casting off the block for an IP swap, just the little cover and the 3 bolts.
we are here for you

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
russ-
from what he's writing, I'm not convinced he pulled the big cover. that would be 4 bolts. irregardless, we can get his back in without much grief.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
ok well i dont have a camera here right now.... wife carries it with her. i set the gear back in there and put the case back on.... do i need to take it off ??? and how do i find tdc? i really appreciate the help

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the housing is off due to removing the oil filler then the cover.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
picture

ok wifes homes heres a pic of what i have going on..what i am pointing to is what was taken off and under that is a gear that came out...i out it back ... in no order... is there a certain way to put that back??

Attachments

• IMG_1973.JPG
    IMG_1973.JPG
    721.1 KB · Views: 53

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a couple of pics with the timing plate removed. the cover is still attached. note the index mark on the gear. i just logged into chat if it help you talking in real time.

Attachments

• SL371574.JPG
    SL371574.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 20
  • SL371575.JPG
    SL371575.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 16
  • SL371576.JPG
    SL371576.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 14

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Calvin. It doesn't sound like he removed the housing. In fact, it doesn't sound like anything is wrong at all. Perhaps he is just freaking out because the gear moves around a little. This is normal. It's not possible for it to skip teeth, so the timing should be maintained. After all, I can't imagine ANYBODY HERE would be foolish enough to do this WRONG when we have a great library of technical articles and how-to's. You don't really need a service manual for a lot of stuff if you do your reading here first. I'm SURE this fellow read our "how to change your IP" article". Right? :backoff

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ,you know most of these "technicians" dont have a clue. Reread the original and his last post and you will see what I saw
Punkmechanic, dont give me grief, I dont consider you a tech. Most of the guys you work with are tho.LOL

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
ok i might not be saying this right..... when the ip was removed the filler neck housing was still intact to the ip... when we got it out and set it on workbench.... we remove the cover on the front which expsed the three bolts ...once we removed the bolts the gear fell out onto the bench.... how to i get that gear into the original spot??????

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i might not be saying this right..... when the ip was removed the filler neck housing was still intact to the ip... when we got it out and set it on workbench.... we remove the cover on the front which expsed the three bolts ...once we removed the bolts the gear fell out onto the bench.... how to i get that gear into the original spot??????
ok.
you're semi ******. but not totally.
drop by chat and I will walk you through what you need to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just going by memory here, but I have fixed this a few times for others.
You need to get the engine up to *1 top dead center. Now, look for the mark on the IP gear that you took out. Count 19 teeth on each side from that mark, and put a mark on the gear at that point.
Now drop the gear in so those two marks like up with the top of the block where the gear cover/block meet. The gear should be in the right place now.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey one ton are you working on this right now?, I am relatively close to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online