Delphi Injection Pumps

red1979ta

Reaction score
Hello.

I recently rubuilt my 7.3 IDI N/A. I purchased an injection pump from my local auto parts store as they advertised it with a lifetime warranty. The pump I purchased is a Delphi EX836005. My truck has since day 1 with the rebuilt engine had an issue starting after heat soaking. Pour cup of water on the pump head, and it starts right up. Has anybody had an issue with this pump in particular? I am in the process of warrantying out this pump. Am I wasting my time? Or did I get a bad one of the bunch? I figured purchasing from Delphi would be the way to go. Any experiences with this pump would be great to know. I am hoping my new one will not have this same issue. Starts perfect cold, plenty of power, just no hot-start. Thank You

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said somewhere else, this pump has a delphi sticker, they dont make pumps. And yes it is a bad head and rotor. It almost always better to get your pump rebuilt by a reputable dealer instead of ANYTHING from an auto parts store.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
to the forum. Its as typ4 posted sorry to say but..you can try getting this bad pump replaced but hopefully they wont tell you the reason your pump failed is you did something wrong installing it. See what happens and post back what you end up doing. Please don't feel bad because you purchased a less than quality pump from an unknown seller either. It happens all the time. Thats why this group made the forum called.... THE HALL OF SHAME.... Every seller in there has screwed the public way too many times..

gandalf

Reaction score
Too many people miss this, don't realize that it is there. Many members have learned, the hard way, that parts houses are NOT all equal. The pump you bought may have been rebuilt, poorly, or it may have just been cleaned up, without a rebuild.

Start reading. Hall of Shame.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better off warrantee then sell to get some money back or return for money back if possible and spend just a little more the get a quality pump from typ4, r and d , or conestoga. You won't be disappointed

Black dawg

Reaction score
So, how does a reputable rebuilder test to insure they don't sell a pump with heat soak issues? I have heard of a several on this forum that came from reputable rebuilders with this very issue.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well , the shop I use measures them and tells me if it will not be good, if its borderline they test for a longer period of time and test the calibration, if it falls off with a heat soak issue then they know its a problem.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I could have it backwards. From what I understand Mel always replaces the head and rotor.
Justin does not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use a test stand that replicates the injection pump’s operation on the engine. It is set up with test injectors and run at varying rpms to verify the pumps ability to run. There are also a spec for the head and rotor which is the main wear item and the most expensive part in the pump. Some rebuilders who sell at a lower rate have a larger spec range for that part, others who sell at a higher rate have a smaller spec range, so a smaller tolerance for what wear is still useable in a rebuild, and more rotors get replaced in those rebuilds.

Hope that makes sense, I try to explain that to any customer that buys a pump from me.

red1979ta

Reaction score
I am going to try to warranty this and see if I get lucky. If not, I'm going to become their worst nightmare. I spent $700 on a 100% rebuilt pump. Tired of getting screwed. Ill probably get a conestoga unit if this next pump does not work correctly

Mtew2000

Reaction score
I’m on my 3rd ip on my 94 7.3 idi. Have had it rebuilt twice. The same issue both times it’s been rebuilt. Cranks great when cold. Sits an hour or 2 after it’s warm will not start without pouring water on pump. Not sure what to do with it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726