Defective oil filter.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Some one on here once said (Maybe Wes)

NEW = Never Ever Worked

Like many have said, just because it is new, doesn’t mean it’s good……. BTDT
I dont think any line of parts is immune to having some defective parts. I can not think of anything that has been 100%

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The past year or so I have been picking up the FL-1995 filters at Wally World when I see them on the shelf.
I try to do the same thing. I don't get to Wal-Mart very often and don't remember to check every time that I go. The last time I was there was a couple of months ago and the shelf didn't have any FL1995 filters. I do still have a couple on hand, but that won't last very long.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Donaldson, it has better specs then motorcraft fl-1955 and Donaldson is among the best filters (they are like cat filters)

No filter is immune to defects, I bought a motorcraft fl-1955 down at parts store in O'Riley's and looked inside to see a piece of metal that didn't get a full hole cut out. Took it back for another one and they swapped it out so I look at all my filters now.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Mann Humel now owns Wix and purolator. Purolator quality control has been crap for years. Pretty well known fact about purolator but it seems that since Mann humel bought wix their quality has also gone down hill.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this. It's for a 15L caterpillar diesel. Napa gold made by wix in USA. Only about 3/4 of a thread to hold it onto the engine.

Napa brought out a replacement for it and it had the correct threads. Imagine if I had put that on without noticing! Thing would have blown off on the road somewhere.

I usually like wix.... Little worried now.
In manufacture of millions of filters monthly there are bound to be some defects.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Mann Humel now owns Wix and purolator. Purolator quality control has been crap for years. Pretty well known fact about purolator but it seems that since Mann humel bought wix their quality has also gone down hill.
Which is interesting because Mann is pretty well regarded as making very good filters for the European market.

ISPKI

Reaction score
I use the Donaldson, it has better specs then motorcraft fl-1955 and Donaldson is among the best filters (they are like cat filters)

No filter is immune to defects, I bought a motorcraft fl-1955 down at parts store in O'Riley's and looked inside to see a piece of metal that didn't get a full hole cut out. Took it back for another one and they swapped it out so I look at all my filters now.
How expensive is that donaldson? I have thought about switching my superduty over to one of those for a while now but the only ones i have found have been extremely expensive, upwards of 80$. They are larger even than the FL1995 motorcraft right? Any issues fitting them on a N/A 7.3?

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How expensive is that donaldson? I have thought about switching my superduty over to one of those for a while now but the only ones i have found have been extremely expensive, upwards of 80$. They are larger even than the FL1995 motorcraft right? Any issues fitting them on a N/A 7.3?
The white Donaldson for 7.3 powerstroke is same size as the fl-1955. The Donaldson blue is the massive one that may or may not fit.

As for price I paid about 20$ for the white Donaldson and it feels higher quality then the motorcraft. It certainly has better specs

ISPKI

Reaction score
The white Donaldson for 7.3 powerstroke is same size as the fl-1955. The Donaldson blue is the massive one that may or may not fit.

As for price I paid about 20$ for the white Donaldson and it feels higher quality then the motorcraft. It certainly has better specs
I had looked these up. Donaldson is 99% @ 17uM, Motorcraft is 98% @ 18uM. Its a slight difference but its a difference and the price isnt that much more. I am going to see if my local can get them. It would be interesting to see if the big blue filters would fit our trucks.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never heard of Donaldson. I looked up their filter for my 6.9L P559127 and it says 99% @ 40 micron. Motorcraft FL784 says 80% @ 20 microns.
I don't know which might be better.

Last edited:

ISPKI

Reaction score
I never heard of Donaldson. I looked up their filter for my 6.9L and it says 99% @ 40 micron.
Motorcraft FL 784 says 80% @ 20 microns.
80% at 20 micron is likely to be better. if it catches 80% at 20, then any sizes larger should be close to 99%.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the one I was looking at getting. Spec is 90% @ 10uM. That is a huge improvement.

It is also 3.5" longer and .5" larger in diameter. That isnt MUCH larger around but it might hang down a bit.

https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-us/product/DBL7405/11895
Someone in the forum put the blue on but I believe it won't work with my axle. Which is a Dana 50ttb. Would be awesome if so as the blue one is better

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never heard of Donaldson. I looked up their filter for my 6.9L P559127 and it says 99% @ 40 micron. Motorcraft FL784 says 80% @ 20 microns.
Donaldson makes some of the highest quality filters on the market. They basically are CAT filters. I upgraded my engine bay for my N/A with a Donaldson blue filter which filters 99% of all contaminates from engine bay even when wet and lasts 40k miles on highway, 20k offroad.

I run the 7.3 powerstroke (white colored Donaldson oil filter) on my IDI and it filters better then motorcraft
You must be registered for see images attach