"Dealer Duallies"

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't yet seen a thread on this subject, so I thought I'd start one.
In 1979, at the age of 20, my dad bought a brand new F-250, that had a 460, C6, 3.54's and had been converted to a Dually by the dealership. This wasn't your typical dually conversion with budd wheels. This one had the stock front wheels, and shallow dish inside rear/deep dish outside rear wheels.
Any fellow OB's ever seen anything like this?

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. Even if Ihad one on film, I don't have a scanner, so, we're still dead inthe water there. I know where the truck is, so next time I'm home, I might pay the guy a visit, and get a few pics.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
we did see an F250 dually in at the Michigan IDI Weekend that Darrin hosted that had the normal rims up front and the dually rims in the rear - I can't remember his name but he was from New York or something to that effect. Didn't really realize that the rims were different front to rear until he pointed it out.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have seen this before. They used this adapter:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/DUAL_WHEEL_ADAPTER_SETS?ID=12;0;0;0;100001;ProductName;0;0;0;0;2003967;0;0

And it didn't need budd rims. The rear outside rims were a little wider than the inside, I have also seen the rear wide rim on a non dually used on the Camper Special.

Not calling you out or anything, but dad's '79 didn't use any spacers. It got it's offset in the wheels. Shallow dish inside/Deep dish outside.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I have heard of it being done, even heard of guys makin their own wheels, never seen it though.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
one of my old bosses had a 198? GMC 3/4 ton the same way, so I know what you are talking about, didn't do jack in the snow for traction, handled like a pig on the highway, worse in town, and got no gas mileage, even for a 350 w/ a quadracrap

yeah, I've seen it, I've driven it, I'd never even CONSIDER it
if I get the chance tomorrow while the sun's up, I'll run up there and take a picture of it to post

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of my old bosses had a 198? GMC 3/4 ton the same way, so I know what you are talking about, didn't do jack in the snow for traction, handled like a pig on the highway, worse in town, and got no gas mileage, even for a 350 w/ a quadracrap

yeah, I've seen it, I've driven it, I'd never even CONSIDER it
if I get the chance tomorrow while the sun's up, I'll run up there and take a picture of it to post

Really? Dad never seemed to have that much trouble with his:dunno
What kinda gas mileage did that 350 Quadrajunk get?

Fatback

Reaction score
I don't know if its the same thing but I seen a 79 F350 ..... oh .... I must have been in Texas....... it had duals tucked under a fleetside bed with regular non dually wheels in the front.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of those too on the internet. I remember pictures of dad's (before it became a flatbed) having dually flares on it.