New episode, Half a truck or I broke my toy. '94 idiT Crewcab Dually.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the engine is out, again, the trans is out, again, the transfer case is out, again, the 2wd front axle is out.
I suppose that constitutes 1/2 a truck.
The engine was full of metal from an internally busted valve cover baffle over the CDR valve.
If you have one of these engines, remove said valve cover and run some bolts through the baffle to secure it externally.
That engine is arriving back to Promar for another going through.
We shall see what happens. Hopefully the next rebuild the assembler does not drop another piston into the cylinder busting off another cylinder oiler. Make that two problems with that engine.
The trans was rebuilt by a GM guy and I don't believe he replaced all the basic upgrade parts. It had delay problems engaging and chuggling shifting.
That's okay, the Allison trans should be here. . . .Yeah, it's coming.
The transfer case is pisin' a river of silver and another mere $322 in parts should get that rebuilt.
Another story of my stupidity in trusting another person/shop.
The front 2WD front axle is due for a Dana 60 replacement with the Elocker diff to match the True Track on the rear.
I also have a reverse shackle upgrade with Super duty springs both front and rear.
The front Budd wheel adapters were missing from the Dana 60 and I found a set of those on fleabay.
Maybe I can then install the wheels to roll into the next expense with this mickey mouse project.
Ah yes, for the first time, I finally went out last night to see how the BW 1356 transfer case linkage connected to the transfer case. It doesn't. It attaches to the E4OD trans.
Lets NOT forget about the paint job that included painting the rear fiberglass fenders with the wrong primer/sealer and now the paint is bubbling underneath. More reworks.
OH and then the shop that supposedly diagnosed the engine noise, I was "hoping to get a knowledgeable opinion" on paper for warranty submission and I wound up with 2 scratches on the fender with my new paint job instead.
Oh yes. I am due for another kick in the teeth.

Uh. . . Wanna bet it doesn't connect to the Allison in the same manner?

At least the rear axle is still holding and the hydroboost conversion is also working.
Potential future reworks.

What the problem with YOUR truck now?
If this EFFER Mudder Trucker ever gets done, it might run awhile.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the problem with YOUR truck now?
I'll bite.

First, let me say, you've got an awesome project working. My bet is that it's going to be worth the pain.

Now, I've been sitting in Odessa, TX for 8 days.

My IDIT grew a hole in the radiator somewhere between Abilene and here.

First thought: "It could have been worse." I was on my way to Alpine (h e ll and gone from everything) and on to Del Rio (If Texarkana were the "arm pit" of TX, you can guess how Del Rio would be described anatomically).

Keep in mind, I'm not just on a tour of "Podunk" Texas ... I'm supposed to be working!

Anyway, here I sit ... the china special radiator never showed up (o'reilly) and now I'm waiting on the radiator shop to do their thing.
This might be the most expensive radiator, for an IDIT, in the history of ever.

I'm finished crying.

I appreciate your advice regarding the valve cover baffle. Thank you.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radiator!
Oh yeah, I remember that $650. It was $600 from Rockauto and 1-800-Radiator could have been your friend if there was a local distributor. Probably isn't in Odessa if your looking for an aluminum/plastic replacement.
The radiator decided to not quite work going over Mt Hood here in Orygun. That was a lousy 4,000 ft roughly. Then again, I was pushing it hard and seeing how it would act. I had to turn around and come back down. I haven't been back yet, but will soon enough.
With the radiator comes the thermostat and oh yeah, how is that fan clutch working?
Fan clutch is easy enough to check, rotate it a few times around to loosen it up and then give it a fast hard turn to see if it spins more than 1.5 times. if it continues to spin with no problems, add that one to your list. The stat might be in need of replacement just due to being cooked.
Hoses look good or doing those also? Lower hose has the spring in it?
thaty baffle is beyond a recommendation considering it is held in with 4 spot welds.
4 freakin, minimal-istic, small a*sed, sunny beaches spot welds waiting to braek off and splatter your engine. Annoyed? Hardly. Seething is closer to it when considering the repeated expense of an engine and praying the crank is salvageable.
I figure that will set me back somewhere from 2 to $4K.
It is beyond getting my attention.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the radiator comes the thermostat and oh yeah, how is that fan clutch working?
Fan clutch is good ... asked mechanic to give it a nice bath w/ brake cleaner while he's in there.
Thermostat: On the work order. I had the part on-board.
Hoses look good or doing those also? Lower hose has the spring in it?
Hoses look good ... replacement is on the work order anyway.
Thank you for reminding me to check for the spring.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bite.

First, let me say, you've got an awesome project working. My bet is that it's going to be worth the pain.

Now, I've been sitting in Odessa, TX for 8 days.

My IDIT grew a hole in the radiator somewhere between Abilene and here.

First thought: "It could have been worse." I was on my way to Alpine (h e ll and gone from everything) and on to Del Rio (If Texarkana were the "arm pit" of TX, you can guess how Del Rio would be described anatomically).

Keep in mind, I'm not just on a tour of "Podunk" Texas ... I'm supposed to be working!

Anyway, here I sit ... the china special radiator never showed up (o'reilly) and now I'm waiting on the radiator shop to do their thing.
This might be the most expensive radiator, for an IDIT, in the history of ever.

I'm finished crying.

I appreciate your advice regarding the valve cover baffle. Thank you.
Well, since you’re there, might as well!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha glad I could help partner! Hope you’re back on the road cruising soon gents :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online