Factory OBS Steel Dually Wheel Identification

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing a search on this will yield contradictory results on rub between rear tires as well as the rub on the front sway bar. After buying some wheels and doing a little measurement, I believe I can shed a little light on this subject.

So it appears that there are two different dually wheels for OBS trucks. Again, I can't say any of the exact history, but I can speak to the part numbers I have as I've got multiples of both wheels here.

My 1995 PSD has Accuride 28511 steel wheels. The backspacing is about 5" and they say max weight is 2200 pounds. There's a Ford Part number F2TA-1015-TA, and I have to assume these wheels are original to the 1995 CCLB 2WD that came with 215 85 16 tires.

I have acquired another incomplete set of wheels that were on an OBS 4x4 cab and chassis, but again: I can't say that I know they were from this truck as it was essentially a parts hulk, but I believe they were. They have Accuride 28512 part number on them. There is a Ford part number F2TA-101-MA on them. The backspacing is about 10mm more, which I would say is about 5.4", and the max weight on them is 2500 pounds. I have a pic of two of these wheels bolted together with 265 75 16 tires mounted on them and there's enough room to get my pinky finger in between the tires. The additional offset should help dually mounting in the rear with regards to going larger (say 245 75 16) tires in the back and avoiding sidewall on sidewall interference. I would say that I believe the additional offset would make for more interference in the front as they would have more "inward dish" when mounted up front.

I have also been told that the Accuride 28511 is obsolete and is superseded by 29577, and the Accuride 28512 is obsolete and superseded by 29578.

In my not so expert opinion, I believe the way to go would be to have the 28512s in the rear and the 28511s up front, but that's my opinion and should be treated as such.

I would love to mount and balance tires and show pics of them on my truck, however, the 28512s I bought have one rim that has egg shaped holes, so I am currently searching for one more rim before I can complete my current mission.

This has been pretty informative for me, hopefully somebody else finds this helpful.

Pics forthcoming.

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping the accuride part numbers help others identify what they have. With less than 1/2” of offset between the two, they are not really easily identified. I was initially under the impression that the deeper offsets were only offered in the round hole steel wheels, but the two I have are both four oval hole wheels. I can honestly say I did not see the difference between the 28512s until I looked really closely with the 28511 spare I have in hand.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a little more digging, I found a couple more part numbers, edited the original post to make it easier for those who might be looking, but here's where it came from:

I was told that the Accuride 28511 is obsolete and is superseded by 29577, and the Accuride 28512 is obsolete and superseded by 29578. Using that information, yields this via google search:

http://www.wheelsnowinc.com/catalog/index.php?brandID=1&diaID=6

16.00 X 6.00: 8 Hole on 6.5"(165.1mm) Bolt Circle
Part Number Application ? Material ? Mounting ? Offset ? Inset ? Outset ? Images
29575 Highway Steel Stud Piloted Wheels 0.50
29577 Highway Steel Hub Piloted Wheels 5.00
You must be registered for see images attach

29578 Highway Steel Hub Piloted Wheels 5.35

29579 Highway Steel Hub Piloted Wheels 5.15

29587 Highway Steel Hub Piloted Wheels 5.00

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads