Dead Glow Plug Observation

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago #8 Motorcraft GP dies.
Due to my health I have to get my neighbor to unscrew it...while I keep my fingers crossed praying it's not bent/distorted or swollen. Easy out, no issues ;Sweet
To my surprise the bottom 1/2" is eroded away/much thinner some +.030 thinner vs a new Motorcraft GP. (I've never experienced this before):eek:

Yesterday #4 GP dies...shows the same 1/2" eroded/thinner bottom.

I suppose the rest will fail one by one...receipt shows they're only two years old and the truck sits a lot. :dunno

Hope you all are healthy and happy, Ray

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Long time no see! How have you been?

That is a bit odd about the errosion. Definatly should have lasted longer than 2 years thats for sure.

REBELHIGHBOY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing i know of that eats plugs are either or starting fluid i have heard could do that unless they are old

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The only thing i know of that eats plugs are either or starting fluid i have heard could do that unless they are old

Advanced timing will erode glow plug tips.

Ray didn't Mel time that cream puff of yours?

I wonder if the timing advance is remaining activated.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
advanced timing could eat tips from what i've heard. There are some glow plugs that are narrower and come to a cone rather than hemisphere.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Advanced timing will erode glow plug tips.

Ray didn't Mel time that cream puff of yours?

I wonder if the timing advance is remaining activated.

thats what i was thinking, i know i noticed my glow plugs doing this when i cranked up the timeing, they did not do this before.

makes me wonder if the metal makup of the plug changed since it should be timed right and i doubt you used starting fluid on the cream puff.

btw glad to see you back

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback people...sorry to say my health has been in the dumpster, but I'm still pumping air :sly

As I recall, the King :hail my BFF/Bestie :love: locked timing down at 9.50 Engine had a bad-ass little rattle to it :thumbsup:

I believe 'stock' timing is 8-8.50 ???
In a 'gas' low compression engine I wouldn't think a degree or so is detrimental but, with a diesel could that added degree or two really be the cause of GP's erosion? :dunno

Motorcraft GP's don't have a taper, mic in @ some 0.196 and my two dead ones easily lost + .030 the bottom 1/2"

Using either to start my cream puff - NEVER!;Really

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ray, good to see you here. It sounds like Agnem and others' concerns about you were justified however. Back OT. I have noticed the same thing with my glow plugs when they've failed. Mine lasted a bit longer than 2 years though with the same system as you. I still have 1 or 2 originals from my solid state conversion in Oct. 2004, but most of the failures have been tapered down to a cone on the end by the time they died. I may have to rent one of Gary's meters now that I have some cash in my pockets but with luminosity timing I'm around 1-2*ATDC, so pretty advanced. No harm in replacing them one at a time; sucks that your health is not up to par to allow you to do this yourself.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn Ray. Good to see you post! Sorry your having trouble with the GP's. You should have called me. You know I'd come all the way out to help you. I've had plugs errode from using too much WMO also. Not sure what the situation is there, but 9.5 on stock fuel shouldn't hurt them. That's well within the 2% spec. In fact it helps a bit with the fuels we have today.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel :hail...I know you would have made the trip my friend. For the very little I use it the trucks running excellent, fuel mileage still sucks hard though, 10mpg local. The way I drive (like I'm dead) should be an easy 15. :peelout
For state inspection, I just had a new muffler and over the axle pipe installed.cookoo

I was just curious about the GP erosion > don't recall the Champion plugs doing that...no biggie.
Time to get medicated :drunk:cookoo :puke:

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned to me that losing GPs could be a bad injector. Just thought I'd throw it in.