Glow Plug Connector Rebuild

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got 17 seconds until light goes out. 5 more until relay clicks. 28 degrees outside and truck has not run since Saturday. Timed with stopwatch.
That's about the right cycle time for that temp. The usual max cycle time is 15 seconds +/- 2 seconds, it depends on the battery voltage on how quick the GP's reach full temp resistance and the resistance across the relay contact. There are so many factors that influence the cycle time. The ON/OFF relay cycling after the initial GP cycle is controlled by how hot the GP's stay after engine start, they can cycle up to 2 minutes, if you have good engine hi compression (hi compression produces more heat), correct timing and other factors, the shorter the ON/OFF cycle. Sounds like you have an efficient GP system.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, how good was the fit? The OE pieces have a split ring kind of deal that has to expand a little to fit over the bullet for good contact and staying put. Do these connectors have a good friction fit?

The caps fit nice and snug. To me they fit exactly like the OEM. If you look inside the cap it has the same "split ring" design on that end. Before I did the project I dug around til I found a cap and test fit it before I bought anything to make sure it would be tight (but not too tight).

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Thanks zaggnutt. I looked at 5 stores for them but I never went to home depot, just me thinking home stuff, I went to auto parts stores.The napa ones I dislike but they did have the heat shrink built in.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon has cheap 10 packs. I pulled the pastic bit off, crimped, soldered, and heat shrunk all of mine.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a reccomendation i would use shrink connectors along worh shrink wrap

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad this got a discussion started regarding parts and ideas on better, more efficient ways to rebuild these. $150 for the new set is too much for me. Everything is working great, but this is my first crack at rebuilding the caps I'm sure I will find weaknesses and tweak the parts / steps as they are used and they age. Thanks for your contributions!

* There is a rebuilder on ebay that I looked at who will rebuild your set for $50+ with shipping. I usually opt for the DIY because in the end I learn something and save money too, but for those who can afford it and who are more concerned with getting from A to B then a learning opportunity this may be a good alternative. I am betting his rebuild is similar to what I did except he is replacing the 14 gauge wires that comes off the 10 gauge main as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glow-Plug-H...H_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233af5372f&vxp=mtr

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder what he wants just for the 8 wires? Yup you can ship your harness in a Small USPS Priority box for $5.65.
Looks like the ends are just crimp connectors with shrink tubing over them.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder what he wants just for the 8 wires? Yup you can ship your harness in a Small USPS Priority box for $5.65.
Looks like the ends are just crimp connectors with shrink tubing over them.

Dunno. I had em on my watch list until I started digging on my own. Figured all things even, I walk away with the experience and a couple extra bucks in my pocket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin