Glow Plug Trouble

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had trouble with the Wellman glow plugs swelling up in short period of time?I'm continuing my IP rebuild and checked the glow plugs yesterday and noticed the 2 rear plugs both were dead.Just replaced them all about 6 months ago and replaced these two after checking them but the one under the turbo was fun to get out but got lucky and got it out.The glow plug under the turbo was split and swollen so replacement came at a good time.Is this common and has anyone else experienced this problem as I did notice before I took fuel system apart is was getting kinda hard to start like glow plug problem but everything I've read on here guys say use only the Motorcraft or Wellmans?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most say Motorcraft/Beru only. But I understand Germany Beru no longer makes them, sold out to Bosch who makes them now. Some people have had good luck with the Wellman's, others have not like yours. Autolite and Champion are the worst ones for swelling and short life. But it's best to replace with what you have instead of mixing different brands.

rpm427

1994 F-350 IDI
Reaction score
The ones I replaced the two bad ones with were Wellman again and all are that same brand.I bought two sets of Wellmans to have extra's!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't the two rear cylinders run hotter on N/A engines due to catching CDR drippings? May not be the same for the various turbo configs...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We stock only the Beru ones. I've not heard of them becoming unavailable. Yet. I'd replace all 8. If you have a brand that is swelling, don't mess around!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We stock only the Beru ones. I've not heard of them becoming unavailable. Yet. I'd replace all 8. If you have a brand that is swelling, don't mess around!
Evidently I was wrong when saying Bosch bought out Beru, I think it's Borg/Warner, but they still manufacture the glow plugs under the name of Beru. Might be wrong again. But Beru is still the best GP.

http://www.beru.com/download/produkte/brochure_dieselcoldstart_en.pdf

http://www.beru.com/bw/borgwarner-opens-new-manufacturing-plant-in-portugal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online