Dead e4od. What to look for first?

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a new to me 91 f250 for cheap, but it needs a bit of love. Specifically, a transmission. At least that's what the PO said. Said "it was running fine, then dropped a gear, then dropped all of them". Not entirely sure what that means.

I checked the fluid, and it was below the dip stick. My hopeful self was thinking a top off and maybe I'm golden. We'll, topped 'er off and no dice. Still nothing.

So here's what it's doing....
Nothing .

Shift into reverse, park, drive, neutral... Nothing. No movement no noise, nothing.

Am I looking at a reman replace time? Or is there a chance it's something easier that I should check first?

Thanks guys!
You must be registered for see images attach

And since "pics or it didn't happen", here it is.
And because I'm not too proud, my "ahhh crap" moment unloading it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm no transmission expert, but I'd try the fluid first. Maybe do that second. First check underneath at the transmission, the cooler, and the cooler lines to see if you can find an obvious leak. The way you describe what the Po said, it sounds like it happened pretty quickly. That makes me think that maybe a hole got rubbed in one of the lines or maybe one of the rubber lines got a hole in them (or something else happened) and all of the fluid leaked out while driving. from experience while younger, when this happens, it doesn't take long to lose enough fluid to stop moving.

That's a pretty nice looking truck for a cheap price. Now if you can just stop parking it on your trailer fenders....:joker:

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Looks dry underneath, no major leaks that I could find.

I'll pull the pan tomorrow and see what I can see. Wish me luck! First time opening one of these up.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, can you confirm for me that this statement is true:

Any E4OD will work, so long as it's diesel (IDI, turbo, or powerstoke) but the gas versions (351, 460, etc) will not fit.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing to look for? A zf-5. I'll show myself out.

Pretty sure you need a diesel transmission from a 4wd or a 2wd with the emergency brake on the back of the transmission.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I agree, although this truck is destined to be a flip: buy, fix, sell. My two rigs are sticks and I wouldn't have it any other way!!

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the shift linkage and make sure it didn't work loose. Other than that, pull the inspection cover and make sure the torque converter is still spinning with the flex plate. Besides that, pull the pan and see if you find clutch pieces and burnt fluid.

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 91 f250 that did the same thing and what happened was something in the converter broke and stopped it dead. Of course that truck being 4x4 something could have happened in the transfer case. I got lucky with mine and just had to do a converter, drained all the fluid, flushed the cooler and lines and installed a magnetic inline filter because that converter put a lot of metal in the atf. Like I say I got lucky you may not but its worth checking.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 91 f250 that did the same thing and what happened was something in the converter broke and stopped it dead. Of course that truck being 4x4 something could have happened in the transfer case. I got lucky with mine and just had to do a converter, drained all the fluid, flushed the cooler and lines and installed a magnetic inline filter because that converter put a lot of metal in the atf. Like I say I got lucky you may not but its worth checking.
Awesome. I'll check it out! Weekend got away from me (school started today for the kiddos! Crazy). Hopefully we'll get on it this week. I'll report back what I find.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second an exploded torque converter. E4ODs were well known for that in their early years. It's also possible that this truck has the early style aluminum carrier planetary, which is known to strip when used with a diesel application.