db2/4 pump absolute max cc

idibeast

Reaction score
Well guys i have officially started my high hp 6.9 build, 17.5 to 1 comp, aftermarket cam, studs everwhere, peened rods, oringed block, 60% over injectors, s466 charger. Now i am trying to figure out a pump, the thought crossed my mind of doing a p pump but it will be a huge pain. My question is what is the absolute biggest plunger that will fit in a ds4 rotor? I have done the math ( dont kill me if im wrong) and it looks like a .450 plunger will get me where i need to be fuel wise, is this even close to being possible or am i nuts ( very possible). Also will the ds4 guts go in a db2 housing or does it need to be a db4. Please help before i lose my mind thinking about it.

idibeast

Reaction score
It just hit me how massive that plunger would be, couldnt help but laugh at myself. So rethinking my question, im looking for 600 on fuel, what size plunge do yall think it would take. My calculations put a .400 plunger at 270cc with a 4 plunger rotor, again im probably wrong on that one.

Hardy41

Reaction score
R&D IDI performance make a hybrid db2/4 pump that puts out 180cc. That is the largest that I have seen. I am not sure how much Mels full moose puts out. Good luck on the build. I always wanted to do a performance build on a 6.9. Maybe one day.

xcite

Reaction score
At the power level you are looking at you would need to go p pump, current limit on db4 is about 180cc pump. I have one on my truck right now. Head and rotors for a db4 are currently almost impossible to get unless you find a used one laying around somewhere.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You need roughly 240cc's to make 600hp at the wheels. I would plan a p-pump, or dual IP setup.

idibeast

Reaction score
Does anybody know how much fuel the cat 3208 pumps flow? Also for the dual ip setup how would you do injector lines. I see that R&D says they are still using .310 plungers, is there no way of going bigger?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not without costing a fortune. The problem with pushing any pump way past these design limitations becomes cost and availability of parts/repairs down the road. Honestly you would be MUCH better served with a dual DB-2 setup. Two Omega Moose pumps would get you 260cc. What are these 60 over injectors you speak of and how was that calculated?

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
??? im way confused you can run two ip's what!???!!!?!?!?!? and how could you run another ip made for a cat or cummins or something i mean not unless im lost sorry to hijack

xcite

Reaction score
Any set up would have to be custom made as they do not currently exist. A few tractor pullers have ran 2 IP's after making themselves a custom setup.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that R&D says they are still using .310 plungers, is there no way of going bigger?

Ask them...PONY up the cash...Ask MEL at Conestoga Diesel, Pony up the cash, got enough $$$$ and a big enough BFH and hot enough torch you can do practically anything!

NUFF said!

idibeast

Reaction score
The only way i could imagine running 2 ip's would be to run them back to back with bolts through the existing gear, lots of fab work and probably a pain to get timed correctly. I was really interested in if there was physically enough room for larger plungers and if ds4 guts would work, but now im thinking no so i will stick to the 3208 pump with a custom mounting adapter. Also does anyone know the inside diameter of our injector lines?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only way i could imagine running 2 ip's wIould be to run them back to back with bolts through the existing gear, lots of fab work and probably a pain to get timed correctly. I was really interested in if there was physically enough room for larger plungers and if ds4 guts would work, but now im thinking no so i will stick to the 3208 pump with a custom mounting adapter. Also does anyone know the inside diameter of our injector lines?

Towcat actually did a Ds4 some years back from what he told me. It does work but sheared a cam pin. Justin at R&D has a cam pin that would work but you would still be limited to around 180cc like the Db4 I would think. Plus you would need the sensors and the computer. It would be interesting to see I'm sure.

Also the Cat pump will get you what you want otherwise but some mods will need to be done. I do know the governor needs raised and that is easy. I'm not sure of the other mods but I'm sure there will be some.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Rumor has it CAT 3208 pumps cost a pretty penny to get serious fuel out of.

Somebody find that YouTube oink of the 6.2/6.5 pulling tractor out of Europe that shows the dual IP. Would have to mount it fairly high so can't run a regular hood (why would you want to cover that awesomeness up anywyas). Custom fuel lines, 2 into 1 then to the injector. Timing? Power up one IP, set it's timing and bolt it down. Then do the other one. Just like regular timing except you do it for each.

Or spend the couple grand and get an 8 cylinder P-pump. Ditch the intake manifold and run something like the 7.3 powerstrokes use.

You can only push these rotary pumps so far, then you start breaking internals.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the setup. If I ever had nothing to do, I'd start selling kits that did just this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle