darkside

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well brothers the darkside is very strong,just drove my buddys new to him 03 superduty with the 6.0. ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet
that baby will plain scoot,and when that turbo spools up and sits you back in seat :hail :hail :hail .think a banks turbo could make the old IDI do that :Sly :D
sure wish i could afford the payments on a new one,something about that new truck smell :D

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Thats the worst thing you could do is drive a new truck then you get disapointed with the truck you are driving :Sly

The 6.0s are quick I rode in a friends F-350 4x4 with 6.0 with TS the truck launches pretty good. I wish for one but then that changes when I think do I really want to spend 40 grand for a bare bones truck with no extras to have the power. A conservativly spec'ed F-350 4x4 your looking at
50 grand cookoo I definatly not going to spend that especially when your lucky to get 5-6 trouble free years out of it.

If I was buying a truck to make money with say a F-450 or F-550 then it would make sense to spend the 50 grand but for a truck just to haul your butt around thats a little pricey.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet
that baby will plain scoot,and when that turbo spools up and sits you back in seat :hail :hail :hail .think a banks turbo could make the old IDI do that :Sly :D
sure wish i could afford the payments on a new one,something about that new truck smell :D

I hear ya, especially after wifey had some warranty work done and a reflash on the ole puter. :Sly

Tell ya what tho.... We both like the IDI's better believe it or not. cookoo
Wouldn't trade em for another 6.0L. Cost too much @ $662.59/month. :puke:

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
my next one will be a powerstroke,but not a 6.0.
i would like to stay with the 92 to 97 body style,just like the looks. ;Sweet
my uncle has a green 97 f-350 powerstroke 4x4 auto :puke: with 5,000 original miles.it just sits in his garage cause he dont want to get it dirty cookoo
just need to convince him that i need it worse than him :Sly :D
my buddy bought this 03 with 68,000 on the clock,i converted him from a chevy gasser ;Sweet
has engine warr to till 100,000 thats nice.
white/brown two tone paint,xlt lariet,power everything,nice truck

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
my next one will be a powerstroke,but not a 6.0.
i would like to stay with the 92 to 97 body style,just like the looks. ;Sweet
my uncle has a green 97 f-350 powerstroke 4x4 auto :puke: with 5,000 original miles.it just sits in his garage cause he dont want to get it dirty cookoo
just need to convince him that i need it worse than him :Sly :D
You'll need to mod the hell out of the Gen1 powerchoke to get the numbers you experienced in the late model you rode in. Nice trucks, but count on grafting in a IC, bigger injectors, and a brain that can handle the mods. Otherwise, a modded IDI(turbo, IC) will walk away from a unmodded gen1 choker.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I was talking with a tow truck operator yesterday his truck is a F-450 4x4 7.3 PSD I'am pretty sure the truck was a 2002. He said he has a chip and 4" exhaust with no muffler the truck has lots of power the dealer screwed up his chip had to put the truck back to stock while they reflashed his chip. He said the difference bettween the stock 7.3 and the chipped 7.3 was really noticable.

We talked about the 6.0 said he took a 6.0 truck for a test drive liked the power just a little worried about the reliability really like the Torqshift wondering about durability.

The old IDIs are good but with the newer vehicals on the road today with so much power we are left in the dust. My old truck is good empty but put a load on it she's a little slow.

With the price of diesel fuel climbing higher and higher I think the diesel P/U market will fall. This summer seen quite a few of those sprinter vans as campers and delivery vans. One guy with a camper converted sprinter says the sucker will run off of a oily rag it gets such good fuel mileage.

During the summer I have seen lots of people in motorhomes with 454 and 460 gas power climbing the hills with their foot matted to the floor it must be burning 5 gallons in one shot. Those old big class A Winnies that are big block gas power they must get at best 3mpg gotta be expensive. I have seen the ones with V-10 Ford power with the engine just a screaming the fuel tank must be turning inside out :eek:

Anyhow buying a diesel for better fuel economy is long gone I don't think a person could ever recover the extra costs at the time of purchase and get enough years out of the truck before it starts to cost you money.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
When you have to start repairing a 6.0 I think you would have to mortage the house it would be cheaper to lease another truck. Diesel fuel here went up to 1.02 a litre and its not going down any time soon. The guys that used to buy diesel P/Us have gone to F-150s to get away from the high purchase price of the truck plus get some fuel mileage.

Most guys that buy new trucks keep them for 5-6 years max then trade them in on a new truck. Usually trade in time depends on when the truck starts nickeling and diming. The guys I know that own and use new trucks run them till they have about 200,000kms or a little more then trade them in they are using the truck for a tax write off thou.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Pacific said:
do I really want to spend 40 grand for a bare bones truck with no extras QUOTE]

40K?, more like $27+K for a "plain Jane diesel"

You ought to be able to get a 05 for ~26-27% below sticker (if you can still find one)

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I think we are talking about $40K CAN...$27k sounds about right for the states. There is always currency confusion on these forums.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
The base price on a XL truck F-250 2wd with no options what so ever a basic fleet truck would be minimum 30,000 dollars CND funds or 25,000 US funds. A F-250 or F-350 4x4 would be pushing the 40,000 dollar mark so around 32,000 dollars. I know guys with F-350 4x4 dually in the 60,000 dollar mark 49,000 US.

I don't know what the diesel option is worth but you prolly could buy alot of fuel to feed a V-10 especially when the price of regular gas is almost cheaper than diesel. A person would be buying a diesel just because they want diesel not for fuel economy and for the extra power the diesel provides isn't worth it. The faster you go with the diesel more fuel it burns so why does a person need to be doing 62mph up a hill when you can do it at 50mph.

If I had the money to buy a new truck a V-10 would be a consideration even thou the 6.0 does have good power.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
towcat said:
You'll need to mod the hell out of the Gen1 powerchoke to get the numbers you experienced in the late model you rode in. Nice trucks, but count on grafting in a IC, bigger injectors, and a brain that can handle the mods. Otherwise, a modded IDI(turbo, IC) will walk away from a unmodded gen1 choker.

yeah i know,i dont want a heavily modded truck.
just be nice to have somthing a little newer.and i dont trust the 6.0's yet.
this old IDI will be in the family for awhile yet

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. You gotta be friggin *crazy* to buy a new truck these days. The payments are simply insane... Lots of financial analysts are taking note of society's increasing debt situation of late... and are widely advising folks to fix up their older, paid-off vehicles. I'm not going to play the new truck game.

The minute of enjoyment you'll get with a new Dark Side truck isn't worth the tears you'll have for the next 5 to 7 years making that huge payment. If your truck is getting the job done reliably, no reason to let it go. Let the folks with new trucks get there faster... for all the pain they're going through ($650/month or more) they have to get SOME enjoyment... even if it isn't a "fair fight" to run an IDI against a 6.0.

If their ego is so deflated they need to pick on an old truck, perhaps they should step out onto the pavement and we'll do business the old fashioned way. :draw

I think the comment about the diesel truck market going bust is dead-on. They're getting too expensive to own. I couldn't imagine the repair costs associated with a 6.0. If that truck EVER went into the shop for an engine-related issue while I was making regular payments, I'd go bust.

Oh well... just gotta get over the "gotta have" mentality. Not easy.

Last edited:

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I don't think the Ford techys even know how to fix a 6.0 yet without throwing tons of parts at it to see which one cures the problem. A gasser truck really hasn't changed that much it still has conventional spark plugs and no space age computer to run it.

I think the low pro market will expand even more now that these P/U trucks don't last very long and have engine problems. Atleast with a low pro medium duty you can get a decent engine under the hood like the 466E or a Mercedes 6 cylinder or a C-7 Cat. The medium duty trucks get just as good fuel mileage they tow better etc. Anybody that is going to go full time RV-ing a low pro medium duty is probably the way to go atleast you can stop in most heavy duty truck shops to get the engine repaired or serviced.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pacific said:
I don't think the Ford techys even know how to fix a 6.0 yet without throwing tons of parts at it to see which one cures the problem. A gasser truck really hasn't changed that much it still has conventional spark plugs and no space age computer to run it.

I think the low pro market will expand even more now that these P/U trucks don't last very long and have engine problems. Atleast with a low pro medium duty you can get a decent engine under the hood like the 466E or a Mercedes 6 cylinder or a C-7 Cat. The medium duty trucks get just as good fuel mileage they tow better etc. Anybody that is going to go full time RV-ing a low pro medium duty is probably the way to go atleast you can stop in most heavy duty truck shops to get the engine repaired or serviced.

You have good points here... but how much is a low pro? What driver's license is required? If I could get one without a CDL or without expensive registration fees, it'd be something to consider.

I'd love to have one for pulling the horses. Not sure what kind of financing is available, though. For $30,000 difference would I consider a low pro? YOU BET! I know it'll last me 15-20 years. Safer pulling, more reliable, built for the task, and not a product of FORD, GM, or DODGE's efforts to appeal to the crowd who buy these trucks just for show. I think that's the main problem with the pickups now... too much hype (and related $$ markup) and not enough durability engineered into them.