Cutting Zf5 ear for ATS turbo up pipe clearance?

mjpike

Reaction score
Some one suggested cutting the upper passenger side ear to allow the up pipe-y pipe
to clear the tranny. I have an 87 F250 with an ATS T/3-T4 hybrid turbo.
Anyone here heard of doing this?

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember it being so much a clearance issue with the up pipe as it was with the down pipe. Some one already cut and ground the ribs on the back side of my ZF before I got it but as you can see its a tight fit. Gonna have to go look to see how the cast up pipe clearance is unless some else remembers off hand.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the up pipe clearance, doesn't really look like any thing was cut off to make it fit :dunno

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes I have but I'm not sure where to do it. Others with experiance doing this will chime in with what they did.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had to with my factory and 093 ATS kits. I think you may have to with an 088.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a 085; used the install instruction for the 088, and they appear t be the same except for the airbox.

States in the instructions that you have to trim that triangular chunk off of the trans for downpipe clearance. The one your down pipe is hitting in your first pic.

At first, I left about 1/2" of it left on the transmission, and the downpipe rubbed on it and squeaked, so I knocked another 1/4" or so off of it, and everything clears now.

A sawzall makes really quick work of it from under the truck. I was able to trim it the 2nd time without even removing the downpipe.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been made aware offline that the ear seen is whats supposed trimmed earlier in the day. It still went in and did not touch the trans when the support was snugged up but it is super close.. First pic is the initial eng/turbo swap, second is today. Now I know where my exhaust leak is coming from.

mjpike

Reaction score
How important is that brace between the y pipe and the exhaust?
I had to saw mine off to get the y pipe on

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll probably want to replace it to help deal with any vibrations/movement that occurs. Don't want the slip joint wearing causing leaks prematurely. If you have access to a torch or a big enough wrench you could probably just fab another one if you can't source another or weld your old one back together.