custom turbo

devinf350

Reaction score
hey guys, i am new to the site and am in serious need of some advise. i have got a 92 f250 modified to a f350. its got upgraded rear suspenion, air bag assisted leaf springs, 100 gallon auxilary tank, 9 foot, 6 inch straight pipe stacks, headache rack, etc and am finally looking to turbo it. i habe a guy give me a brand new garrett tubo for a 06 6.0 powerstroke. my truck does not have the computer to electronically open and close the wastegate as needed, so i was wondering if i would be able to weld the wastegate closed and just run a tunable blowoff valve so not to damage the motor but still get the desired amount of boost. any insite would be appriciated.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i am new to the site and am in serious need of some advise. i have got a 92 f250 modified to a f350. its got upgraded rear suspenion, air bag assisted leaf springs, 100 gallon auxilary tank, 9 foot, 6 inch straight pipe stacks, headache rack, etc and am finally looking to turbo it. i habe a guy give me a brand new garrett tubo for a 06 6.0 powerstroke. my truck does not have the computer to electronically open and close the wastegate as needed, so i was wondering if i would be able to weld the wastegate closed and just run a tunable blowoff valve so not to damage the motor but still get the desired amount of boost. any insite would be appriciated.

This has be tossed around before, but it seems like a very, very, difficult job. That VGT is controlled with a computer and require a gaggle of sensors and input to work. I really can't see a way to adapt that to the IDI. You may be able to modify it like you suggested, but it will be a lot of trail and error and it may never work properly. The simplest way to turbo the IDI is get a new or used ATS, Hypermax, or Banks kit off ebay or CL. A few guys have fabbed up a DT466 turbo for these IDI's (91f2504x4 for one), but that too requires a good deal of fab work. PM him if you have questions or he may be along here shortly with his opinion.

Heath

devinf350

Reaction score
This has be tossed around before, but it seems like a very, very, difficult job. That VGT is controlled with a computer and require a gaggle of sensors and input to work. I really can't see a way to adapt that to the IDI. You may be able to modify it like you suggested, but it will be a lot of trail and error and it may never work properly. The simplest way to turbo the IDI is get a new or used ATS, Hypermax, or Banks kit off ebay or CL. A few guys have fabbed up a DT466 turbo for these IDI's (91f2504x4 for one), but that too requires a good deal of fab work. PM him if you have questions or he may be along here shortly with his opinion.

Heath

thanks for the info...i was wondering about how much total was that wastegated sidewinder turbo kit from banks? any problems with it?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use that 6.0L turbo, but there is no "wastegate" to weld shut. There are vains inside of the exhaust housing that control the amount of boost that is made by the turbocharge. One way to make that turbo useable would be to remove all the electronics, plug any holes that would let oil out once those electronics are removed. And then use a small piece of threaded rod to adjust the vains until you found a sweet spot, a place where you made good boost but not too much.

The remote mount turbo is working great for me and I have very little money in the whole deal. I have all kinds of exhaust pipe parts laying around that I used to fabricate my pipe work and I already had the turbocharger as well, along with about as 5 others :sly . The only part I purchased was the intake hat from ATS. When I called them thy told me it would be $50 so I ordered it thinking that it would be worth that to save me the time of making one. Well..... when it arrived there was a reciept in the box for well over $100 for the intake hat and more for shipping, so someone lied to me on the phone or just screwed me all together, but who knows, I called and they told me they never said it was $50 so I just dealt with it.

If you buy a total kit from any of the manufacturers it is going to be over $2,000, I could not see spending that on a truck that is probably not worth much more than that. I can think of a lot better things to do with $2,000.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
. The only part I purchased was the intake hat from ATS. When I called them thy told me it would be $50 so I ordered it thinking that it would be worth that to save me the time of making one. Well..... when it arrived there was a reciept in the box for well over $100 for the intake hat and more for shipping, so someone lied to me on the phone or just screwed me all together, but who knows, I called and they told me they never said it was $50 so I just dealt with it.

Lied to by the folks at ATS... I might add, a fairly typical experience -cuss:backoff

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never actually seen one of these viarable ratio turbos. So the vanes are operated mechanically, or hydraulicly? Even with all the sensors and stuff, at some point there has to be a mechanical interface. I would think when there is a will, there is a way.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mel, The VGT for the 6.0l has 9 veins that are controlled by a unison ring. This ring is hydraulically actuated by a solenoid to adjust the Hot side housing "size". It is adjusted small at low engine rpm and exhaust levels, and will adjust to a larger and larger size as engine rpm and exhaust levels increase. It is a pretty cool setup and seems to work well. There are some quirks with them and soot buildup and rust buildup it is is left sitting for a long time and the veins can stick, it can be disassembled and cleaned up.... but the best way to keep it working is to drive it and work the engine and make the venis move to keep the buildup under control. Here is a slideshow that shows some of the parts in a VGT.... BamaSixGun across the street at SDD.com is doin one of the soot cleanups now. http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x241/bamasixgun/My Turbo/?albumview=slideshow

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
I dont know those turbos but what if you wire it up so the veins are open or closed whatever you need to make boost and then run an external waste gate.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sell that turbo and get one that will be easy to get parts for. Banks is not on this list.
There is a non gated ats for sale by a member on here.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know those turbos but what if you wire it up so the veins are open or closed whatever you need to make boost and then run an external waste gate.

It is not that simple, one way makes lots of heat,the other makes no low speed boost.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of pepole making an electric controler to adjust the turbo, the problem is I think the solenoid is PWM so a bacis on off or variable resistor setup wont work.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
since this is kind of like a family and im kind of a new member i kinda want to take this opportunity to brag just a little bit. a few posts back snicklas posted a link to a slideshow explaining the VGT. in the first slide hes holding that ring in his hand. ive been a machinist for a tool and die shop for 11 years. ive made the tooling sets several times over the last 5 years or more that produces those rings!! i find it very enjoyable to actually see the end result of stuff ive made at work. just thought id share since the opportunity was here.