Custom Intake Hat for Banks Turbo

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
I'm wanting to eliminate my giant banks filter box to make it easier to access things. Where can I get one of the intake hats like the one here <---Link to post. I think he mentioned type4 makes them. I would try to make one myself, but i don't have access to a welder anymore . I tried contacting him, maybe I didn't do it right? I need a mirror image of the ATS hat in order to line up with my banks turbo. My intentions are to create a whole new intake system to allow me to use the hypermax style cowl induction kit with my turbo. Something like the set up in the picture below. I may even use a tractor style filter box instead of an inline filter like the one in the picture. I'm also not sure what i would do with my cdr. Does anyone know what size the pipe on that hypermax kit is? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typ4 is on vacation in Hawaii.

FYI, you may want to re-word your post.
the intake hat in this picture is hidden by some form of air cleaner canister someone made.
that turbo is a OEM or ATS 093.
the turbo hat in this picture is a stock item and no fabrication done.

people do weld tubes onto said intake hat, so that they can inner cool the charging system on turbos.

all intake systems as you see shiny as can be, is cobbeled from stock parts and modified.

here is my turbo hat, same turbo as pictured above.
modifiec for an inner cooler.
you can also see the intake tube, I made.
or as SOME people refer to as a cold air induction....

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
That's a nice set up you have. I was referring to the post in the hyperlink i added. I guess my post doesn't line up with what i was trying to say. The guy in the link used a custom hat that is a mirror image of the ats hat. The inlet on the ats hat is on the opposite side that i need it to be. I guess it wouldn't matter if i was going to add an intercooler, but im not sure i want to lose any boost. Not to mention the cost. I figure i could do the cowl induction project I have in mind for a reasonable cost. I'm in the process of getting together some nice autometer gauges. As of right now the junky boost gauge the po installed doesn't tell me anything.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is typ4's hat, currently building intercooler system, so far still under 400$ in on it and only one small step left of figuring out reclocking turbo to another direction I can't figure out yet which way and the figuring out how to connect turbo to rest of piping not very much room no matter which way I put it lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is typ4's hat, currently building intercooler system, so far still under 400$ in on it and only one small step left of figuring out reclocking turbo to another direction I can't figure out yet which way and the figuring out how to connect turbo to rest of piping not very much room no matter which way I put it lol
are you using a swamp cooler as a innercooler?? :rotflmao

ClemsonIDI

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. An intercooler may be something I look into in the future. I've got to save my cash right now. I'm due for a new injection pump and injectors, I need to finish getting my gauges together, and I haven't payed uncle sam yet this year either. :puke:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like an 088 hat. Agree idioit. He needs one like I made. The way the banks turbo sets is similar to mine because I used the banks up pipe. You may not have to go so crazy on the angle as I did because I needed room for the bigger turbo.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Brian is that turbo clocked in the stock position in your pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian is that turbo clocked in the stock position in your pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no clue bud, never had it in the stock position.
bought it sight unseen and went directly to Russ
never put it on "stock"
compared to my other one, id say its close.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i built a custom had for mine. it's a 4.5" pipe cap with a 3" exhaust tubing elbow welded to it, all stainless. i also bent up some scraps to smooth out the sharp corners. i'll have to get a better picture.

Last edited:

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a stock turbo or a wastegated one this ats 088 seems to be a lot more difficult to intercooler than the other turbo set ups, maybe a turbo system change is in my future or custom setup always workin with a tight budget lol

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my 088 turbo I was thinking about intercooling and thought the 093 intake hat would
change the inlet enough to do it. Do you have an 093 hat to compare?