Custom Bumpers

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should actually give the top side a slight slope down forward, you don't want rain water trying to collect up there rusting your masterpiece away. As long as there is some texture for your boots or whatever to grip on you will be able to stand on it to work on the engine. As much as I hate diamond plate for automotive use, this is one application that it is very good for. Or you could use smooth steel, and lay some skateboard grip tape on top of it, achieves the same thing.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expanded metal will allow water to find its way inside your bumper - you want that even less that standing water on top of it. Even if the bumper is just tubing and/or C-channel with little to no boxed sections...

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is a **** bumper.^^ !!!

mine, still not done..havent touched it in 3 months lol. Plan was to hgave the winch inside but really..I will be needing it only when I plan on going offroad. Dont need it for my highwya commute, so put a 2" receiver hitch in there. I have a super duty frame which has those big plates on the front part of the frame, the bumper slides into the slots and is fastened with 8x 1/2" gr8 bolts. receiver is sandwiched between two 1x2x.25" rect tubing that is welded to these large boxes which the bolts pass thru and then into the frame.
Still to finish the the lower and lower outer parts to tie it in and giv eit a streamlined work. i wanted the top flat so I could stand on it to wrench! great drink holder too.
You must be registered for see images attach

What you've got is pretty much what I'm shooting for. I may not curve the ends quite as much inward.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His bumper sticks out quite a bit tho, bending the bumper wings back helps gain some clearance for maneuvering in tight spots where mere inches can make a difference (think being boxed-in while parallel-parked).

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I used these bumpers from a 1999-2004 super duty. Had to modify the mounts, but the fit up just fine. Rear bumper needed clearance for the bed corners and new mounting holes drilled.

I was going to make my own, but bought these used locally for decent money. So i had them blasted and then bed lined them.

I can stand on the frond bumper between the grill guard and grill.

-Jeremy