Custom Bumpers

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for some ideas on front and rear custom made bumpers. Done some looking but I'd like to see if anyone has some pics of what they've done. I have my own metal working equipment and welder so I'm very seriously considering building my own.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing some custom tube bumpers myself soon. I can get 2 1/2" metal tubing for $1.79/ foot so I figure I can do my front and rear for about $90 in tubing, plus I'll need some angle or channel iron, and some 1/2" expanded metal.
I know a professional welder who will help me do the rest for free. I have a good idea of what I want but no pictures just yet. I plan on having a reciever hitch front and rear for winch mounting as well.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all i have is a mental design, heavy on the mental!
mine will be a gnarly 1/8" diamond plate bumper.
much stronger than the bumper i have now.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about round tubing as well. I also figured though with the boxy design of the 89 I have, I may use a thick walled square or rectangular tubing and then build off that to match the box design of the truck. Only thing I'd like to do on the front is make it a bit more plow mount friendly and possibly incorporate some room for a winch mount. I'm considering using either 1/8" or 1/4" sheet steel to build it out. I suppose doing a cardboard mock up like I've seen some do wouldn't hurt.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen and like tubing bumpers squared out with diamond plate.
When I do my front bumper I'm definitely leaving room for an intercooler.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about round tubing as well. I also figured though with the boxy design of the 89 I have, I may use a thick walled square or rectangular tubing and then build off that to match the box design of the truck. Only thing I'd like to do on the front is make it a bit more plow mount friendly and possibly incorporate some room for a winch mount. I'm considering using either 1/8" or 1/4" sheet steel to build it out. I suppose doing a cardboard mock up like I've seen some do wouldn't hurt.

It you can't decide, go for 3/16 plate.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all major stuff, like frame brackets and receiver are TIG welded on my bumpers.
the rest is MIG, and ground.
remember, if you have to grind your welds to make them look nice.
youre not a welder, youre a grinder!

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I feel this bumper made my bronco a **** beast. I took it on trade for some work on a 78. It was just flat when I got it so I cut and bent it around, added the side pieces and put the marker lights in it. About 5 years ago and the stainless is still nice and bright. :) I also have a rear to match but it was too big on it before the lift

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is I am just not a brick nose fan thus unless I get the Aussie lites I will swap an OBS clip then build a **** bumper from #€££ that holds the monster 10k PTO/Hydraulic (take yer pic) winch. 5/16 side plates to frame at the least 3/8× 3" angle to mount winch to and 3/16 to 1/4 plate for main bosy of it...look out animals ...

Im not a welder so I tack well and pass to another if need be...but I do sometimes make some **** beads...lucky are what those be called

Green winch 8k similar size to Warn 8274..it preceded that kodel...red...my baby

Lol yuppers need Lg Hd bumper fer dat

Last edited:

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumpers should be practical and not pretty :D Mine is made of 10" channel, 8.4 lbs/ft (as opposed to the real heavy stuff). The winch has additional support; the outer ends are designed to be a fail point before bending the frame.

Older picture before I repainted the truck (and bumper)

Complete with D rings, hitch receiver, winch, bush bar. Hit a Prius and just wipe on some fresh rust paint before the cops show up... never happened LOL Truck looks really good with a pintle hanging off the front :fight:

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is a **** bumper.^^ !!!

mine, still not done..havent touched it in 3 months lol. Plan was to hgave the winch inside but really..I will be needing it only when I plan on going offroad. Dont need it for my highwya commute, so put a 2" receiver hitch in there. I have a super duty frame which has those big plates on the front part of the frame, the bumper slides into the slots and is fastened with 8x 1/2" gr8 bolts. receiver is sandwiched between two 1x2x.25" rect tubing that is welded to these large boxes which the bolts pass thru and then into the frame.
Still to finish the the lower and lower outer parts to tie it in and giv eit a streamlined work. i wanted the top flat so I could stand on it to wrench! great drink holder too.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will definitely build my bumper with a true flat top. I have slipped off the bumper way too many times while wrenching. It's a wonder I've never busted my chin, being as short as I am. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online