Cummins Conversion

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering converting my '91 F-350 with the T-444 diesel engine to a 5.9L 12V or 24V.

I want a final result that will tow a given trailer up a long grade faster than the new trucks and that will out-accelerate ricers and most others, 0-60, who want to play just because I'm driving a big truck.

Of course, EGTs are a concern. Gotta keep those in check.

Will any 5.9 other than the new "610" get the job done? I can convert to one of those, but want to go with something less expensive and less electronic. Either a 12V or 24V are probably reasonable choices for me since I think the 610 would be a pain for any dealer to work on if I ran into trouble on the road. The conversion requires special programming that dealers won't be privy to.

I also don't want to throw black smoke everywhere... so that's a consideration.

Mike

Last edited:

aaklingler

Reaction score
"I want a final result that will tow a given trailer up a long grade faster than the new trucks and that will out-accelerate ricers and most others, 0-60, who want to play just because I'm driving a big truck."

I also don't want to throw black smoke everywhere... so that's a consideration."

Buy a gasser.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
As mentioned in my pm you will get all this except the black smoke thing... Trust me when I step down on it with a trailer in tow she rolls coal black smoke even after the turbo catches up (yes it subsides quite a bit but it's still there). Now under hard accell with no load once the turbo spools up the smoke is there but it's not bad - just that inital puff is cause enough to make them want to turn their lights on during the broad daylight. LOL

Whit

Reaction score
Mike, Go with a 12 valve 97 or 98 year Cummins with the P-7100 pump, all mechanical and easy to do the job with, serious potential to reach all the goals you are after, Go for it and post pics as you go.

Cheers, Kevin

rubberfish

Reaction score
Whitmore said:
Mike, Go with a 12 valve
Yup,,,,,easiest, cheapest, and you'll get everything
you're after, even black smoke. You can't avoid that
if you're looking to make the power of the newer trucks.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aaklingler said:
"I want a final result that will tow a given trailer up a long grade faster than the new trucks and that will out-accelerate ricers and most others, 0-60, who want to play just because I'm driving a big truck."

I also don't want to throw black smoke everywhere... so that's a consideration."

Buy a gasser.

Nope. Gotta go with diesel to stay happy. I just want to keep out of trouble with the law and be environmentall responsible as I can. In some states you can be turned in for smoking diesel exhaust from the tailpipe. -cuss May just have to make as much power as I can without smoke and be happy. Heck, even my '91 will smoke while pulling. Very faint (seen only at night/in headlights).