Cruz Control

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
So im trying to determine why the cruise control on my 2002 7.3 Powerstroke doesnt work... i replaced the most common failure part which is the pressure sensor on the side of master cylinder.
Whats next my Diesel Brothers ???

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My IDI ended up being the clutch switch adjustment. Probably a bit different than yours. Might check vacuum lines (mine and most I've worked on were vacuum operated). A small leak can make it to weak to operate.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck is a 2002 7.3 turbo
Powerstroke Diesel

Basic cruise control operation is similar on almost all vehicles I've worked on. Switches tell computer what to do. Sensors (brake, clutch, speed, etc) give info to the computer. The computer then manipulates a cable (usually operated by vacuum) to work the throttle. Most failures are switches, or vacuum related. I am not fully familiar with the 1996 and up trucks, but I would start by looking for switches that are either bad or out of adjustment or vacuum leaks. I figure that you probably have vacuum assist on your brakes so your vacuum pump should be working, unless you have problems with stiff peddle, etc, you can rule that out.

Someone more familiar with your setup will chime in eventually, I just wanted to give ideas to get you started. Good luck with it.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatic or manual transmission?

Do ALL brake lights work, including the center light in the cab roof?

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Ok, first off... thanks for the responses. This is a new truck for me so it was not working when i got it... all brake lights and interior lights are working because i just upgraded all to Light Emitting Diods .
The truck is an automatic.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
all brake lights and interior lights are working because i just upgraded all to Light Emitting Diods .
The truck is an automatic.

Say no more, fam. Lol
The leds are the problem. You need load resistors in the tail light circuits, and the brake light above the rear window.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no vacuum per se on a SUPERDUTY PSD except to operate the Lock/Unlock front hubs and heater control. Very small electric vacuum pump.
Fixed. Only applies to the SD. The OBS PSD has vacuum brake boost and centrifugal auto front hubs. But still no vacuum for the cruise, as there would be nothing to connect it to.

Oleblue84

Reaction score
The VSS sensor sounds like it needs to be replaced. This is one of the things I had been researching also. My 96 powerstroke speedometer was jumping, and the cruise control didn’t work at all. If the VSS which is on top of the rear diff is bad, you won’t have cruise control. I would try replacing it, and see if that clears up your CC issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp