cringing knock

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep unburned diesel out the exhaust is murder - it's worst than any onion you could find... Got behind a PSD day before yesterday as he was pulling out of the truck stop with a rather large TT in tow and boy he was stinky was getting to me in the car... I can only imagine what it sounded like under the hood during his accel up the on ramp. but getting back to your question yes it sounds like an injector you are describing. Take and loosen each injector line (one at a time - then tighten back up) to find the offending injector - yes you get get a miss but when you loosen the line cap and the knock stops you found it....

Taz94IDI

Reaction score
Question

Would the offending injector be hotter or cooler than the others?

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Proper diesel exhaust does smell great. However, the raw stuff that Towcat is mentioning, really is wicked. Get yourself in a confined space with that kind of exhaust, and your eyes will be killing.

If it's anything like being in a closed space with a rich running gasser, i don't wanna be anywhere around it:puke:

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I had an IDI at work with a drooling injector and it sounded like someone was driving one piston down with a sledge hammer. The truck cam to us that way from and auction and was tagged as "blown engine". Set of injectors and a pump and it was fine. About 150k miles later it still fine;Sweet
Ken

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the injector diagnosis. Could also be a glow plug tip rattling around in the cylinder. Cheaper to try the injector route first.

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It just locked up (crank wont budge) when i was cracking open injector lines to find it. unfortunately its more serious...

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it aint hydro locked, its gonna need some major machine work. the crank wont move either direction from prying on flex plate teeth with a crow bar.

19jackal90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, original plan but the snow storm that just hit ky is hindering it getting into the shop....