Cowl induction hood for ATS turbo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was reading about the Hypermax cowl induction system, and wondering if this could be made to work with my ATS non gated system, and if so, could it be done easily. Is this a modification to a stock hood or a special Ci hood? I ask because I need a new hood for my truck anyway. I had planned to just get a hood from any 80-86 Bronco or F-series and have my buddy paint it and make it look good, so yeah the question is are the cowl induction hoods special or just modified stock? Thanks,
J.D.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at their web site? They take the air from the space between the windshield and the engine compartment. You cut a 2 x 5 hole in the firewall, screw the hypermax snorkel to the firewall and connect to your intake. you are taking the high pressure air created by the windshield. Make sure your drains are clear or you will be sucking water in to the intake.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So maybe its not a very good design? I live in a place that averages 50 inches of rain per year...it would be bad if I had all that H20 going into the engine froma summer gullywasher. Would probably hydrolock it. Which drains do you mean? And how can I tell?? Yes I did see the scoop on their site...I couldn't for the life of me figure how it worked. Anyone have it? If so, do you like it?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad design, since in theory very little water gets in there when your driving at speed. However, I'd take some measures to make sure the hose had a drain in it, and a low spot on the way to the air cleaner if you have that kind of weather. Have you looked at "Godzilla Air"?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was afraid you were going to ask me that. It's Moose Air for the ATS. The guy who developed it, never made the jump from TDS, so I'd have to direct you over there to find his posts. The search feature of course being completely useless, and all of my original favorites having been wiped out by an upgrade some years ago, so I have no record of it. It involves using an open element filter and putting it in the space available on the passenger side wheel wheel. You can get the idea by looking at my Moose Air pictures in the Moose Truck album.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Hypermax cowl induction my PowerSmoke and I live in Seattle with no problems.

I kept an eye on the air filter when I first installed it for moisture from driving in heavy rain. I didnt see any water on the inside of the intake tube.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, I knew there was aguy who had it...I think I would be more concerned about if teh truck were to sit in a heavy rain than driving in one. I'm strongly considering it. I like the idea of colder air and less EGTs. Not the question is would it fit the ATS airbox since it is designed for Hypermax?

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hypermax cowl system I have hooks directly up to the stock air cleaner using the same size hose.

I dont see why it wouldn't work.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya got any pictures of the setup?

Go to their web site. On one 94 I have the hypermax "cowl induction", have not had any problems untill it sat over night in the rain. My drains were plugged and the valley was half full with water - lucky I pulled the inlet tube and some water came out - cleaned out the drains, had no problems since.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut a 4in hole and used aluminum dryer vent it works great and looks good too. I was also worried about water getting in there but I made sure that when I cut my hole that it was at least an inch off the bottem of the "floor" of the cowl. I have been running this setup for almost a year with no problems at all. After I origionally did this, I checked the intake tube and air box for water and never found a trace. Even if it were to get a small amount of water in there it will drain out the drain holes in the bottem of the air box.
My truck sits for a week at a time and I do get a lot of rain here at times and I've never had a problem with water.
The only thing I notices with this setup is that if you have a fuel leak, Its more noticable in the cab since the heater draws air from the same area.