Coolant Leak

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
:mad: Why does it always happen when you don't need it... the injection pump in my Golf split a seal and is puking diesel out all over the place, and now this...
Parked the truck in the afternoon, went back to it at night to come home, noticed a little green river under it (I doubt it was more then 1/2 a quart) Looks like it is coming from the rear passanger side above the starter. Other then a heater line, I guess I am looking at a head gasket soon :(

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid so. That's the classic location for the leak. Don't know what year your engine is, or how many miles are on it, but it's probably due. You know about my article over on TDS I suppose.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
:( Ya... I don't know the year of the motor, or the miles on it ether... the 6.9 was swapped in before I got it, I suspect the stock 7.3 was a cavatation death.
My issue is now... if I am going to do head gaskets, I might as well do rings to get rid of my blue exhaust.... then that leads to this... then that... and you know it's raining here for the next 5 months, since I don't have a shop to do this in yet....

Oh well, I hope it will limp around for a bit more. I notice that If I get it hot on a longer drive(like 35 min to work) it does not leak, but if I run down the block and back it does.

I got some shop space for the pump on the golf, just got to see if I would be over staying my welcome if I moved in with the truck too :)

I will look for your artice on TDS.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold leakage on a 6.9 isn't so unusual, that's why the 7.3IDI block and heads were redesigned to eliminate the water passage at the corner of the head.

I've had excellent results with Bar's and ceramic block sealer for plugging minor leaks. (Bar's for the real small ones and block sealer for the bigger small ones).

Block sealer saved me from having to R&R my heater core, at least for the time being.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your block heater for leakage, the place where you think it's coming from is exactly in the location for the block heater.

The block heater is above the starter.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Ya I checked that, the block heater hole was dry.
I will keep a close eye on it, I should be finished with the golf today, so it will see much less action. Till I get a shop built at least.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wabbit

Ya, it's sure pouring here in town, I know how hard it rains out there!!

Have ya tried to have a look with a mirror and flashlight back there?

On a rare occasion, you might get away with just retourqing the head bolts in the line sequence to get on top of that leak.

Also, have a look at where the heater hose comes into passenger head,if there's a leak, with the engine running, the fan can blow the coolant back along the head till it drips down on the starter at the back..

My ignition switch quit on me this morning, so I've got wires run from the solenoid through the passenger door into the cab so I can "hotwire" it to start it till the rain lets up.

(sigh)

zigg :)

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Till the rain lets up he says... so it's going to be like that till what? April?
Thanks for the ideas, I will get under there and take a good look at it... some time when I don't have to swim from my front door to my truck. Opening the hood right now would wash away any evidence of anything!

Rockstar

Reaction score
On a rare occasion, you might get away with just retourqing the head bolts in the line sequence to get on top of that leak.

Also, have a look at where the heater hose comes into passenger head,if there's a leak, with the engine running, the fan can blow the coolant back along the head till it drips down on the starter at the back..

I am having simular problems on my 92 7.3L i was thinking about re-torqing the head bolts but i don't know what the torque spec is and also what do you mean by "line sequence" just start at the front and work my way back?

my engine seems to be leaking between the head and the block near the front passenger side. i will recheck the heater hose because i do see the syptoms you describe