Coolant Flow?

TestDriver

Reaction score
Quick question here. The coolant line from the head to the heater core is tee'd to the bottom of the radiator on my 94. I've never seen this. Am I right to assume the flow is "from" the head rather than "to" the head? Why is the line tee'd in this manner? It seems that this would diminish flow to the heater core. If so, I'm thinking of taking the flow from the head to my heat exchanger then to the tee.

Thanks.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question here. The coolant line from the head to the heater core is tee'd to the bottom of the radiator on my 94. I've never seen this. Am I right to assume the flow is "from" the head rather than "to" the head? Why is the line tee'd in this manner? It seems that this would diminish flow to the heater core. If so, I'm thinking of taking the flow from the head to my heat exchanger then to the tee.

Thanks.

I have never heard of that either, I am not sure why you would want coolant from the bottom of the radiator going to the heater core, the bottom of the radiator is the coolest part of the cooling system.

Does it look like an oem thing where it attaches to the radiator?

TestDriver

Reaction score
I have never heard of that either, I am not sure why you would want coolant from the bottom of the radiator going to the heater core, the bottom of the radiator is the coolest part of the cooling system.

Does it look like an oem thing where it attaches to the radiator?

It does look like OEM. All the connections are the nice, crimp type.

So, which way does the coolant flow?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe that has something to do with the factory tow package. I remember it being mentioned before. Also, I believe the flow is from the head to the heater core.... so that tee would be a "return" from the head to the radiatior......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats Fords idea of how to warm up a cold E4OD trans. You don't need it. That hose is really expensive from Ford too. Sounds like yours is still the original or a po replaced it. It flows from the head to the heater, then back to the water pump and branches off to the bottom of the radiator. At the bottom the fitting looks like its the same size as the hose going down there.... Nope.. That fitting is drilled out to maybe 3/16 inch...:eek: Thats all the flow that line can make. When that heater-trans heater upper line is replaced just forget all about the line going to the bottom of the radiator and plug the resivour port in the radiator tank... You will be just fine without it... Also the brass fitting in the head has an orfice in it and it flows thru a very small port going to the heater... Don't really know why Ford did that either.. That fitting is no longer available from Ford... I bought the last one 2 years ago cuse I found the orfice in mine was almost gone...:D

TestDriver

Reaction score
Thats Fords idea of how to warm up a cold E4OD trans. You don't need it. That hose is really expensive from Ford too. Sounds like yours is still the original or a po replaced it. It flows from the head to the heater, then back to the water pump and branches off to the bottom of the radiator. At the bottom the fitting looks like its the same size as the hose going down there.... Nope.. That fitting is drilled out to maybe 3/16 inch...:eek: Thats all the flow that line can make. When that heater-trans heater upper line is replaced just forget all about the line going to the bottom of the radiator and plug the resivour port in the radiator tank... You will be just fine without it... Also the brass fitting in the head has an orfice in it and it flows thru a very small port going to the heater... Don't really know why Ford did that either.. That fitting is no longer available from Ford... I bought the last one 2 years ago cuse I found the orfice in mine was almost gone...:D

Thanks. This is quite informative. One thing though, the tee is on the line from the head to the heater core.

In any case, I'll take it off the head first and keep the rest of the lines the way they are.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The flow is from the head to the heater core. Then heater core to the water pump. Why are you working on this line... If its not broken why fix it... If its leaking or you want to replace it remember that all the coolant needs to be drained from the radiator. Otherwise coolant will be everywhere... I don't like coolant baths especially running down my arms into my armpits. Diesel or gasoline on the armpits burns really badly.. Its something you only do once... Thats for sure.....

TestDriver

Reaction score
......................................... Why are you working on this line... If its not broken why fix it...

My sentiments exactly. But, as I stated on the first post, I'm looking to run a heat exchanger off this line.

When I'm done, I'll post pictures. It won't be soon though. I have to finish repainting the auxiliary tank I just acquired first. The reason I was asking this now is, I had access to some scrap hoses and I needed to prepare for the heat exchanger installation.