Coolant comsumption

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Some of the oil sampling labs will also test coolant composition and can check for silicate content as well as the rest of teh content of teh coolant

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Could some of the silicate be from the casting of the block, just never got washed out before assembly?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THANKS FOR THIS POST. My buddy was just looking at getting 4 of these for his boss's farm fleet, like signing papers next week. Not gonna happen. I may be helping him rebuild, front to back some older iron that has 425 ***** power.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
THANKS FOR THIS POST. My buddy was just looking at getting 4 of these for his boss's farm fleet, like signing papers next week. Not gonna happen. I may be helping him rebuild, front to back some older iron that has 425 ***** power.

If you can get the trucks with teh cummins in them Russ, they make a REALLY nice truck. The Cummins seems to not have any issues besides having to bake the DPF in a kiln one every year or so.

The two oddball IH trucks that have the Cummins ISM's in them seem to REALLY make the owners happy.

It's just the IH Maxxforce 9's and 10's that seem to be the problem...BIG TIME!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Could some of the silicate be from the casting of the block, just never got washed out before assembly?

This could be a VERY real possibility that I hadn't thought of. I have som epictures laying around here somewheres of the silicate within the overflow tanks....it's quite a lot!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hes a cat guy anyway and there is supposed to be some repower program they might qualify for. Besides they dont go far and the drivers will beat up a new one just as much as an old one.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Goofy do those trucks come stock with a coolant filter?

They do not come equiped with one. Me and my buddy asked if we could put one on it the Ken said any modifications NOT approved by the engineers can and will void our warranty.

I would LOVE to take a filter, stick in in bypass in the heater hoses and cut it open. I can just IMAGINE the crap that would be in it.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Hes a cat guy anyway and there is supposed to be some repower program they might qualify for. Besides they dont go far and the drivers will beat up a new one just as much as an old one.

I am glad I caught you before the trigger got pulled on that averted disaster!!

I swear to god, I have not seen ONE truck break 100 000 kilometers (62K miles) before a complete engine failure.

jwc

Reaction score
In reference to these EGR coolers going out, a friend of mine has a 2008 F450 with a 6.4 in it. He had it to a local dealership several times and of course they said it was fine, well about 3 hours out it started blowing white smoke out the exhaust and the dealership there has agreed to put a new EGR cooler in it but I'm wondering about the overall health of the motor and the life left in it. If it's been burning coolant for this long, an oil sample seems like a good start, any other suggestions?

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how many trucks you have some of the biger fleets had coolant filters added by the dealerships and run green coolant.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
That wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I never even mentioned the idea of running the green stuff because everytime we mention something to Ken, he has a MAJOR heart failure and flips out at us.

I think that just adding a coolant filter alone will reveal a PILE about this engine's insides.

I REALLY want to get my hands on a blown EGR cooler and check for silicates plugging the ports for the coolant passages. Unfortunatly, when my buddy asked for his old part back, it was ushered away fairly quickly never to be seen again.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Probably true about the factory engineers wanting the failed parts back. I'll bet they have two reasons for this... They want to keep the problem off the open market and they really want to see what went wrong in hopes of making a repair modification... Yeah... thats it...:angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online