Coolant comsumption

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I never even mentioned the idea of running the green stuff because everytime we mention something to Ken, he has a MAJOR heart failure and flips out at us.

I think that just adding a coolant filter alone will reveal a PILE about this engine's insides.

I REALLY want to get my hands on a blown EGR cooler and check for silicates plugging the ports for the coolant passages. Unfortunatly, when my buddy asked for his old part back, it was ushered away fairly quickly never to be seen again.

We have to return all blown 6.0, 6.4 warranty coolers or our warranty claims to ford won't get paid. Kind of like proof that we did the job and did it correctly. Ford then sends the coolers to IH.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they want the parts back to make sure they realy need to be replaced ford sued navistar because they refused to pay thousands of waranty claims because the injectors were improperly diagnosed.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the exhaust and see if its got any sings kinda like stacks after it rains it. The DPS will hide alot of the smoke from coolant being burnt. If the problem goes unfixed and the coolant that is undoubtably in the oil doesn't cause problem pretty soon it will have issues regening.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
So, thanks to George here, and an email from Shell....I think we got them by the *******!!

Shell Rotella ELC is infact a true Silicate FREE coolant. I have a copy og the spec sheet in my email.

The local IH dealership is selling LOW SILICATE coolant by the palletload to the customers with the IH engines!! The dealership is compounding this problem ten fold!!

I have to take a picture of the silicate buildup in the bottom of my buddies (and all trucks for that matter) overflow tank. Easily a 1/4 cup of it!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
We have two brand new Volvo's with the DD13's leaking coolant from the EGR cooler, puddles on the floor.....Junk, that's all the new stuff is....Buy a glider, rebuild an old 60 series or C15 and run her with that....No egr, no DPF - no money pit.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
As for the 6.0's....I had a Navistar engineer tell me to my face that the cooler is was caused by NOT using the correct coolant....He said mixing coolants was death for a cooler in short order. I would tend to agree that is not a good practice.

....I do not buy "Universal coolant" either.

I shortened this up a little BigRig to get to the main point you are making.

I think what you are getting at is that mixing coolants can lead to sediment drop out.

If a truck is factory filled with SILICATE FREE Rotella ELC, and a truck owner goes to the dealer to get the proper antifreeze to put back in it...one would expect a dealer and service adviser to provide the proper antifreeze to the customer.

What we found was, the local dealer is selling LOW SILICATE antifreeze in place of the SILICATE FREE Rotella.....mixing of coolants.

This is in no way the truck owner's fault. Two different owners went to the dealership saying that they needed coolant for their specific truck...both separate instances they were given the wrong coolant as directed by their service/parts department.

I have two more separate people going in tomorrow with their VIN numbers to get some parts and a couple jugs of coolant each.

We are then goign to cross check the coolant they get tomorrow with part numbers that are on two separate recipts for two complete rebuilds on a SINGLE ENGINE.

If the part numbers match up...meaning that the engines are being filled with LOW SILICATE coolant, then we have found our source of silicates in the overflows and possibly the cause of a lot of the problems with the engines.

I wonder how many times an engineer looked at a blown cooler, said "this guy is using the wrong coolant" and the truck was not covered by warranty....when the dealer is the ones to blame...:eek:

3 Months ago I said I would get to the bottom of it, and it looks like I am REAL close!

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
We have two brand new Volvo's with the DD13's leaking coolant from the EGR cooler, puddles on the floor.....Junk, that's all the new stuff is....Buy a glider, rebuild an old 60 series or C15 and run her with that....No egr, no DPF - no money pit.

I work for a company that has several Cascaidias and Columbias with these Detroit DD serises engines and I have problems the EGR system as well there is just too many parts to fail on the new stuff.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well...this morning we conformed IH is selling a low silicate coolant for a silicate free cooling system. We asked three times if this was the correct coolant and all three guys behind the counter agreed that it is whatall the new small bore IH engines are using.

I need to contact IH navistar myself to confirm some things though. I need to make sure that Navistar wants only a silicate free coolant, and I want to know what they think of mixing coolants...I know what the answer is going to be, but I want it on paper!

I called another independant dealership ask asked what coolant they stocked....it's the shell stuff...they don't even stock the cheaper low silicate. He said IH wants ONLY the Shell stuff in there.

Last edited:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
More INFO!

I got teh spec sheets for BOTH coolants being used.

Shell Rotella ELC says to only mix with a similar brand of SILICATE FREE coolant and NOT to dilute by more than 15% with ANYTHING....be it coolant or water.

Recochem says that it is not mixable with traditional coolants....but it also says the following...and I quote..."It is the responsibility of the end-user to determine product suitability as recommended in the owner’s manual and to follow engine manufacturer’s instructions."

Bottom line, Shell says NOT to mix with ANYTHING to dilute the Shell's concentration by more than 15%. East Coast has been selling this stuff to EVERYONE and saying it's the proper stuff.....it's not.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive seen under the hood of one of the new Internationals and there was a sticker on the coolant bottle that said to only use Shell Rotella ELC.