Convince me this air box is trash

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, I have an .088 kit with a .085 air box?
Exhaust side of turbo has ATS cast into it and looks to be slip in style pipe... Which is leaking like crazy. That's another job for another day.

Anyway. This is the air box I have. I hear it's junk. Why? I'm fine with replacing it with a cold air kit, but haven't read why yet. Just people saying "it's junk, toss it".

You must be registered for see images attach

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That airbox is trash. :joker: Ok not really.

I haven't seen one in person but it doesn't seem to be bad from the pictures online...still can hook up the stock cold air, easy to get to, and was professionally designed by ATS. It has a smaller filter so you will have to change it a little more often than a stock one. As Saburai said, if it flows the CFM you're good to go! (And I cant imagine it wouldn't since it was designed for this engine).

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My best guess is you're hearing that from all the guys that run stock setups with huge air filters for "more power"

If you're going to be building it for maximum power with a bigger turbo I could see replacing it. If you're running that turbo kit on a stock engine I'd just leave it be. It's not going to hurt anything. The engine can only pull so much air, chances are since that was designed for that turbo setup it'll flow plenty. Stick a new clean filter in it and run it.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine kept pulling the filter minder in. I cut a 2 1/2” hole in the opposite end to increase flow. It uses a 1974 Porsche turbo air filter. It may or may not be junk, but it was restrictive on mine.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most people’s complaints are that they can be difficult to remove and they have issues sealing against the filter, allowing unfiltered air to pass into the turbo

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those boxes work just fine for their turbo they came on. People think that they get more power without them because turbo noises increase sometimes without then and a "cold" air intake they made

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those boxes work just fine for their turbo they came on. People think that they get more power without them because turbo noises increase sometimes without then and a "cold" air intake they made
With a factory turbo, stock air box and Napa gold filter for it, it doesn't take long(especially in the dust of summer) to get plugged.
My filter "looked" only slightly dirty after a trip, but the restriction gauge was maxed out... A new filter went in and it felt like I gained 50 HP. Especially on a tuned up setup, getting enough air is a big deal.
Also, more surface area(in general) means filter changes can be further apart.

Black dawg

Reaction score
never had any trouble with those airboxes, but they can be a pain to deal with...when they have the cdr bolted to them, and the little ats breather elbow to the valve cover.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never had any trouble with those airboxes, but they can be a pain to deal with...when they have the cdr bolted to them, and the little ats breather elbow to the valve cover.

That is seriously the hardest thing I have had to do when working on this truck...

And that is a testament to 2 things:
1: how stupid easy these are to work on.
2: how unnecessarily difficult it is to line up that elbow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online