commercial 7.3

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My answer would be to tear it down to the bare block, remove all of the oil plugs (including the press in ones behind the cam gear) and run a small brush (like a rifle cleaning brush) through all of the oil gallys. I'd do the same with the crankshaft. I know that's not what you want to hear, and I truly hope that you don't have it come to this. I wouldn't get very excited either way about just my answer. I'd wait for a larger group answer.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pull the pan and inspect. I'm also going to pull the hose and verify that it is not plugged

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have a diagram of the oil galleys? Shouldn't the oil go straight from the pump to the oil filter first then to the mains and Rod's then the cam and the valves

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should go to the oil cooler first, then to the filter, then to the engine. If you had any globs of silicone, I would think it would have been caught in the oil cooler, if not the filter. Remove the cooler and inspect, cut apart the filter and inspect.

Here is a link to the lubrication diagram, it's a little ways down the page.
http://diezelcrazeesidipage.homestead.com/oilregulatingvalve1.html

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I pulled my oil pressure from that port on the driver side of the engine back by the transmission. Upon firing it up it's spiked 12 PSI and then as the engine throttle down it settled on zero. So what the f is going on? I had superior oil pressure cuz I was blowing the seals out on the oil filter. Now I ain't got nothing what the f***
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’ve got rtv in the oiling system, you need to pull it apart before you keep running it more

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ve got rtv in the oiling system, you need to pull it apart before you keep running it more
The million dollar question is where. That's why I don't keep running it I've kind of figured that. That port that I plugged into is directly after the oil filter on the main bearing line. So do I got some things stuck in my pressure relief? Everything was fine until I changed my oil pick up tube and rebuilt the oil cooler.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you need to start by pulling the pump off and scraping all the rtv out of there, then work your way from the source cleaning as you go, oil cooler would be next on my list, and then the relief valve.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That picture doesn't do it justice but I think that my rusted up spring / oil pressure regulator is the cause of my problems. Pulled the filter off and it was low of oil. From my understanding if the spring gets stuck open then it will dump all the unfiltered oil back into the oil pan and not let it go through the filter. Which would also explain why I was blowing out the oil filter seal the first five or six times I tried to start the engine every time it would fire up and catch it would below the seal out I thought it was a faulty oil filter but if it was sending full system pressure to the filter that would cause that. And then if the spring stuck open then it would dump all the system pressure back into the oil pan without first hitting the oil filter. As I said before it's all rusted up inside there. The picture does not even do justice. I cranked the engine over after I pulled the cooler off and gobs and gobs of oil came out of the block like it's supposed to
You must be registered for see images attach

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil filter head also came off of a 6.9 that had sat for an unknown amount of years and had water in the cylinders as well as in the oil pan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online