commercial 7.3

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the o-ring was lubed prior to install. I listen to the filter reset the o-ring tighten the back up and it did the same thing. I then removed the tapered o-ring and found a square o-ring off an old filter and put that on. As I was screwing the oil filter on I noticed the body of the oil filter was kind of tapered away from the surface of the oil filter housing. Only in one spot. So I sent the wife to get a new oil filter because it pushed the square or ring out as well

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the filter. Put a new one in no issues. However shortly thereafter I got to run on it's own. Sounds like a big block with a big cam. Shaking on the engine stand. I know it's missing. As it was running a cracked the lines and got like 4 to pop the rest just oozed while running. ***.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That style of oil filter gasket is normal these days. I haven't seen one that's flat on both sides in years. That could be because of brand differences. The first time I saw a gasket like this was in the late 90's while I was working on these engines for a living. I installed the filter with the tapered side up, just like the filter came out of the box. It blew out the gasket just like yours did. I removed the filter, flipped the gasket "upside down" with the flat side facing up towards the sealing surface and it held just fine with no issues. From then on, I've always flipped that gasket over and haven't had any problems since then. I can't explain it, I just know what I have to do to keep the oil inside the engine where it belongs.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fill the fuel filter with atf, Fire the engine up and run it for a minute then let it sit overnight. Your pumps got some crud in it likely algae

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well ****. It's on the stand right now so I guess I have to wait to warm the engine up

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if fired up smooth after I finally remembered to put power to the fuel shut off switch. It idled smooth until I gave it throttle. Then I started missing again at idle but not when you gave it throttle. Then it ran for a while and started smoothing out about a minute. And I try to crack the injectors to bleed the system and a shuts off. I have a video but it is too large to upload

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I may have used the right stuff to seal up my oil pump to block and pick up tube to oil pump. I think they may have failed because I have a hose connected to the top under my block or the oil pressure sensor supposed to be and I'm getting very little to no Flow. Where can I get the proper gaskets?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So I may have used the right stuff to seal up my oil pump to block and pick up tube to oil pump. I think they may have failed
I'm not quite understanding what you mean here. What did you use to seal up the oil pump and pick up tube? Hopefully, only the gasket that goes in between the two. All I've ever seen was the gasket between them and nothing between the pump and block. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it's very unheard of to hear about the oil pump failing. It's possible that the pick up tube could crack (or worse, break), but that's rare too. If you tried to use RTV or something similar, then you may have plugged up something bad enough that there isn't much oil going through. Other than that and the extremely rare tube breakage, the only other thing that comes to mind is if the mounting bolts weren't tight and something worked loose.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I put gasket maker called right stuff between the pickup and the pump and the pump in the block. I don't think the pickup is cracked or broke. I was not aware that there was not ever a gasket between the pump and the block. So now I fear that I may have plugged a gallery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online