commercial 7.3

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad, once you get into the 200s you start getting a lot of blowby and oil consumption.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried starting it today on ATF with glow plugs and it will smoke but not fire. Going to try some either tomorrow but my question is there wasn't a static timing mark on the housing So I put the pump where I thought it should be. If it is too far advanced will it fire?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should fire, you dont have a ton of adjustment for ip timing so it cant be too far off to keep it from firing unless the timing gear is not lined up.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's lined up. I made sure when I had the timing cover off. Just wanted to use aft so it would clean the pump and injectors. Think I might still have air. Fuel doesn't squirt out with force when I crack the lines while cranking.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wont ever squirt with force when cranking, but if you see a dribble youre primed.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's lined up. I made sure when I had the timing cover off. Just wanted to use aft so it would clean the pump and injectors. Think I might still have air. Fuel doesn't squirt out with force when I crack the lines while cranking.

Once you have fuel at 4+ injectors via the cracked line method you're good to go with a strong IP and starter. If weak IP you may need 6+injectors bled. Took me a long time to realize that, and the difference between a properly rebuilt IP vs the old and poorly rebuilt one I had was huge during air-purging starts.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The condition of the injection pump is unknown. There is a diesel shop sticker on top of it so I'm sure it's been opened up at least once and it's life. I hit the glow plugs, and spun the engine over but I think the batteries were a little weak. Forgot I had the timer set on the battery charger. I'm going to grab some ether tomorrow give it a sniff and see if it pops off. I had it running before I tore all apart so it should start eventually

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*** is going on with my oil filter. I have the power stroke oil filter on and every time I try to fire up the engine it pushes out the o-ring.
You must be registered for see images

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the filter off and found that the o-ring is not square and flat on both sides. Is that normal?

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you lube the filter gasket or is there anything sharp on the oil filter housing? In the picture it looks like the gasket is being bound up and squeezed together. That will cause a leak. I’ve always generously lubed the gasket and cleaned the housing with a cloth to prevent exactly what it looks like happened.