commercial 7.3

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The injection pump that is on the engine is the original for that engine. The other pump I have is a 6.9. I have heard that is bad for a 7.3. that injection pump is also an unknown

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't believe that the different pump is bad for an engine. When I got my Moose Jr. from Mel, I was told that it didn't matter which engine it was going on. The engine that my core pump came off of didn't matter either. If you aren't sure about the condition of the pumps and injectors, this would be the time to have them gone through. It will add extra cost to your project, but in the end, you'll be glad that you did.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that the injection pump on the IHC Has been gone through. There is a diesel shop decal on top of the pump from the area. The 6.9 pump has sat for like 6 to 10 years. I'm pretty much holding it for a core for one I do get a new pump. I know That's a 7.3 pump some what works because I had the engine running last year

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re fine with using the same pump on a 6.9 or 7.3

Ih pumps were governed lower but most were tweaked with by their owners so it may not be set at the original 2700 rpms defuel anymore

Any time you loosen the three nuts holding the injection pump to the housing your timing will change. You will need to time off the #1 line, you don’t need to change the lines to do this, the timing adapter on #4 is for a style timing that is rarely used these days. I would either leave the lines alone, or swap on a complete set from a truck. 7.3s will have the adapter on #1, and 6.9s will have no adapters at all.

Internally, the van, truck, ih, 6.9 and 7.3 pumps are basically the same, just the calibrations were slightly different for various setups. It’s not like the p pumps that have different size plungers for different calibrations.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ih pumps were governed lower but most were tweaked with by their owners so it may not be set at the original 2700 rpms defuel anymore

Any time you loosen the three nuts holding the injection pump to the housing your timing will change. You will need to time off the #1 line, you don’t need to change the lines to do this, the timing adapter on #4 is for a style timing that is rarely used these days. I would either leave the lines alone, or swap on a complete set from a truck. 7.3s will have the adapter on #1, and 6.9s will have no adapters at all.

Internally, the van, truck, ih, 6.9 and 7.3 pumps are basically the same, just the calibrations were slightly different for various setups. It’s not like the p pumps that have different size plungers for different calibrations.
How long can a pump sit before it causes a problem? If the pump was rebuilt what are the odds The defueling was changed, and if it wasn't can I change it

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

All true, but there's still the throttle cable attachment issue. Also, without saying anything good or bad about the shop that went through the pump (I don't know them, so I have no opinions), how reliable is the rebuild. I had one rebuilt by a shop that has been around for a long time and is still around. I didn't have 15,000 miles on the pump and injectors, but had problems. At least one injector was leaking within a year, and the pump was bad enough that I honestly didn't think that it would make it back home before quitting entirely. This was from only about 18m miles away, too. Unfortunatly, not very many people are competent on these pumps and injectors for some reason.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All true, but there's still the throttle cable attachment issue. Also, without saying anything good or bad about the shop that went through the pump (I don't know them, so I have no opinions), how reliable is the rebuild. I had one rebuilt by a shop that has been around for a long time and is still around. I didn't have 15,000 miles on the pump and injectors, but had problems. At least one injector was leaking within a year, and the pump was bad enough that I honestly didn't think that it would make it back home before quitting entirely. This was from only about 18m miles away, too. Unfortunatly, not very many people are competent on these pumps and injectors for some reason.
True. The throttle cable bracket I'm going to steal off of the 6.9 that will solve that problem. I don't know the quality of the rebuild I don't know the shop. I'm going to try it and see how far the pump gets me. If I see it do defueling at 2700 then I'm going to be looking for a new pump. I do not know the condition of the 6.9 pump. When I got the 6.9 it wasn't running, and had almost no compression.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can swap the throttle arm out with a truck pump and run the ih pump if you need to. A pump can sit a long time and be fine, but it needs to be stored properly. Since you don’t know all the history on the pump all you can do is run it and see how it acts. I can help you adjust the governor to get a higher defuel if you need it

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can swap the throttle arm out with a truck pump and run the ih pump if you need to. A pump can sit a long time and be fine, but it needs to be stored properly. Since you don’t know all the history on the pump all you can do is run it and see how it acts. I can help you adjust the governor to get a higher defuel if you need it
That would be awesome. I would really appreciate it. As for the 6.9 pump all I know about the truck is that it was parked and the owner died. There was no coolant in the block so I think they blew the head gaskets

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You can time off of 1 or 4. The IDI in the E-Series times off of 4.

The timing adapter is only for the Ford Rotunda meter. If you want to eliminate it, take the truck #4 line, and replace the IH #4 line. This way all the lines are the correct length, and you have eliminated the unused timing pickup.

@icanfixall, Gary has mentioned getting a #1 van line (or IH #1 line) to eliminate the timing adapter.

Josh Oldenburg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed there is only a 0 reference for degrees on the timing tab. How to I determine timing advance with no other marks?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You need to use a timing meter. A Ferret type adapter with a compatible timing light does the same job. Basically, you hold the RPMs at 2000 and use the adjustments on the timing light to move the visible line on the balancer even with the 0 mark. Then you check to see what your timing is at. It sounds complicated, but once you've done it, it's not too bad.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great so I need a digital timing light. Smh

Not digital, just an adjustable one. There are lots of cheaper options that work fine; I have a harbor freight unit that runs dead-on accurate compared to a old school snap-on I got at a garage sale. (But even if a cheap one is not totally accurate it doesn't take much to figure out where your engine likes its timing the best and just remember that number for the future.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online