Coldstart Video Thread!! Post'em here!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
This is for all you guys that get off hearing your IDI's (or anything diesel) cold start!

To qualify, it must be below freezing (0*C or 32*F), the vehicle must NOT be plugged in or any other heat aids applied. Lets' hear whatcha got!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I must have a leak on my return side and as I have had a burp of air in the IP every cold start since the 6.9 has been between the fenders....It was ok in the summer heat but it's a pain in the winter...LOL....I gotta have a look at that when I'm off next week. I fired it up yesterday with a 12 second GP burn and it fired off right away only to die with the dreaded air bubble....It took some cranking to fire it back up....Gotta love my CAT batteries. We took it down to Boutiliers Point for a truck load of free firewood.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
How do you post video? I would love to post video. It has not been above 30* in the past 2 weeks and i haven't started my truck once. My 86 starts like a champ, no matter what the weather(not like the powerstroke i started today after being plugged in for 3 days straight). Just as long as the controller cycles the GPs.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
How do you post video? I would love to post video. It has not been above 30* in the past 2 weeks and i haven't started my truck once. My 86 starts like a champ, no matter what the weather(not like the powerstroke i started today after being plugged in for 3 days straight). Just as long as the controller cycles the GPs.

The easiest way is with youtube, or an external host site. Do you have youtube or anything like that? Facebook?

If you can't get it Brad, email it to me and I can post it on my channel, then you can link to it by going to the video and copying and pasting the address.

My truck used to start no matter what. Freezing cold, wind blowing....it HAD to because the ***** at my old apartment complex wouldn't allow me to plug it in...if it didn't light off, I didn't go to work.

Now I have a block heater timer, a nice warm garage to work in ....life is great!

HOWEVER, one night it sat unplugged and it lost prime to the filter.....not sure why, but it hasn't happened since.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
This is a cold start video of an idi coming to life for the first time.
You must be registered for see images attach

Well the first time, round two, in reality. If you go through my brown truck project thread you'll see I had a catastrophic valve failure only 75 miles into the rebuild the first time around and had to pull the motor apart and repair the problem. It was 0* outside when I started this motor, pretty impressive, especially when you factor in that this is the rebirth of a new engine.

Edit: It actually looks like it was -5* that day from what I have written in my video notes on my hard drive. And that was not plugged in as well. I tried starting it with a 7 second firing of the glow plugs, but as you can see in the video that wasn't long enough, and I had to do a couple flash burns on the plugs to keep it running.

Last edited:

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll go first.

-10* or 12*F, no block heater, COLD START.

I cleaned the two grounds, both battery terminals on both batteries and changed two GP's. MUCH better than the last video!

Your truck sounds better at -10 then mine does at -4! :puke:
I need to test my glow plugs, now that winter is half over i figure its a good time to get on that.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I'll go first.

-10* or 12*F, no block heater, COLD START.

I cleaned the two grounds, both battery terminals on both batteries and changed two GP's. MUCH better than the last video!

You have a very healthy engine goofy, as slow as it was turning i cant beilieve it fired that fast

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Dang, guess I'll have to wait for it to get cold enough down here again...although it'll probably be a night video lol..... Goofy, you look like a Canuck, is that discrimination?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.