Cold air intake...sorta

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
It might not be getting all cool air but it's much better than the banks black box that only used a 1/3 of the filter. cookoo I still need to build some shrouds around the filter to get max cool air. It looks like EGTs dropped about 100°. And power increased about 20%. Whistling increased about 200%. ;Sweet

I still need to turn down the pump as it will hit 1300° when pulling the trailer up the slightest hills. How much does timing have to do with high EGTs?

I ordered the parts from airflow online and then relized they have a shop just a couple miles from my work. Total cost with filter was $55. I might get one more 45° elbow to straighten the pipe out...but it works good this way too.

Attachments

• DSC02774.JPG
    DSC02774.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC02775.JPG
    DSC02775.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC02773.JPG
    DSC02773.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 44

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I was thinking to do something like yours but on that area the filter will get dirty prety fast. I'll come back with something like the cowl air from HY but with the filter at the end like yours.

ramon f350

Reaction score
maybe I am way off here but it seems like to me that where your filter is the only air you would be getting is the hot air in the engine compartment which really insnt anybetter than the stock set up. I have been thinking of fabbing up some type of intake that would go down to the bumper or maybe out the grill but the problem I am having is finding a clear path that is big enough.

Ramon

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That setup is just a tad shy of a full Moose Air install, but it should work. Yes, there is hot air under there when you are not under way, but at road speed, that fender area cools down, as all the hot air passes directly over the motor and down the firewall.

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
That's why I need to build shrouds around the filter. To keep it from getting dirty too fast and to isolate any of that hot air from the engine. All I know is it is WAY better than that banks black box intake. :puke: On performance, maintance and a whole lot more. BTW...it was Moose Air inspired. But I couldn't find a spot for the washer bottle and radiator overflow with my cruise control stuff in the way.

Now I just need to hook my filter minder up to know when it needs cleaning. Then pipe the propane in there and I'll be having lots of fun. I might even pipe the crankcase breather to it since it makes huge clouds of smoke. -cuss If I could just find a way to trap the oil so it doesn't get in there and make such a mess.

Last edited:

ramon f350

Reaction score
ok that makes sense now i have always wondered about the air flow under the hood thanks for the explanation. now all I have to do is figure how to do mine. I have lots of plans for my truck but lack of time and money is what put the brakes on most of the time

Ramon

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Looks good. I've got to find the time to add a mod like this to 'Blizzard Air'

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
I was thinking to do something like yours but on that area the filter will get dirty prety fast. I'll come back with something like the cowl air from HY but with the filter at the end like yours.

Not really....I'm running an open air filter and being in residential const, I see dirt and dust daily.
It flows 500CFM....MORE than enough!
Check out anyone in the '94/'97 PSD gang with "TYMAR' type air.PIC

I change it once a year or about 50k mi.....US$28 and it is designed for off road equipment ;Sweet
I did the whole thing......4"charge air hose/3 constant torque clamps/4" 45 deg exh elbow and filter for under $70 :thumbsup:
Luberfiner LAF335 if memory serves cookoo :D

Last edited:

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
careful piping your crankcase vent to your intake straight like that!...you dont want to suck oil out cookoo there is a reason that ford/IH used the CDR (valve) ;Sweet

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
That's why I said I have to figure out how to trap the oil if I do it. Maybe I could just run the CDR inline on the way to the tube? I know it let a lot of oil in the intake before. I'm not sure what to do...but there is a lot of smoke out the RDT. I was thinking of piping it to the rear bumper...then it wouldn't be my problem anymore. I would actually like to tie it into the exhaust towards the rear of the truck...the it would be stealth. :angel:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to pick-up Viviana with the truck and on the way this car ( convertible) wont move past 20mph on a single lane, the gu stop at a light and me right behind him LOL it was not on purpose but all the steam from the rdt went all over him :rotflmao and as soon as the light come green he got out of there at 40mph and disappear :Sly .

Geonc, that set up looks good. If I cant get the HY style working I prov will do something similar to that one. Mel has one like that I believe.