Clutch pedal hit the floor: need help

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
That part is the clutch rod actuator bushing or something like that. Take it to Ford and show them they'll know...oh will they know and if not...they are too efn stupid to be a parts supplier!

Might want to ensure your clutch rod eye has not gone and ovalled or the clutch pin that that bushing goes on is not worn out either.

Yes you start the truck in 1st gear...and shift up and down matching revs to speed of vehicle. If you have not ever done it I don't suggest learning while the trucks not fully operational. A good way to practice this wonderful skill, is to use your clutch to start you off normally and go up through the gears and down without the clutch....practice practice practice....it's not all that easy.

Learn this skill/master;Sweet it and you can bout drive any standard anywhere anytime in any situation.I would suggest back roads, with little to no traffic to practice and learn till your comfortable you can do it anytime anywhere...hill starts are the most difficult:rotflmao

I have gotten to where I can go from a stopped engine, start in 1st to 4th and down to 1st without clutch...then a pop to N for stop and turn off truck. Start all over.:sly Lot's of practice I mean lots...

Yep take lots of practice, and not all trucks transmissions and engines shift the same nor shift at the same rpm, my powerstroke likes 1500, the grey idi like about 22-2500 to come out of gear then once it falls to 1800 it will go to the next gear

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I didn't take the time to look but I'm gonna guess that most that said start it in gear and float the gears have a t-19 not a zf-5 Its also not that simple as you have to disable the clutch safety switch also.

Ford sells these clips but my guess is the rod end and stud are wore and that a new one will not last long. I found something to use as a bushing on mine and drilled the rod and put a cotter pin in

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I didn't take the time to look but I'm gonna guess that most that said start it in gear and float the gears have a t-19 not a zf-5 Its also not that simple as you have to disable the clutch safety switch also.

Ford sells these clips but my guess is the rod end and stud are wore and that a new one will not last long. I found something to use as a bushing on mine and drilled the rod and put a cotter pin in

Its not good to do this to a zf5 but in a have to case i will do it, my powerstroke is a zf

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a skill that is transferable to any trans I can think of so far that myself have personally driven. ZFNP435 T19/18 M5OD you name it it's doable...maybe some better n others...but doable.

As for the neutral safety..simple clip into two wires and done! will post pics...as It's dark n no flash on cellphone

I agree it's most likely worn oval like in the pics here

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186116
Same article I did for here but some added info in the beginning.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of the seven trucks sitting here have had a clutch "safety" switch in years.

That being said, that switch, even if still intact, has no bearing on being able to start/drive clutchless, so long as you can still press the pedal far enough to engage the switch.

The switch cares not if everything else is missing in action, so long as the clutch-pedal is still operable.

As for clutchless shifting, it is a whole lot easier with the bigger/better NON-synchronized transmissions, such as the old GM SM465s, Maxidyne 5-speeds, and such.

The synchronizers in most smallish transmissions sort of foul things up when trying to RPM-match the gears.

It was a whole lot easier to clutch-less shift my T-19 than it is the Getrag 360, simply due to the synchronizers.

I am tempted to completely eliminate the synchronizers, but I don't know for certain that I can do so without having to add something to take their vacant space.

I can shift a lot better without them. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WARNING!!!!!!!!

With nothing better to do while waiting for my daily uploads to complete, I wandered through this thread I must speak up before damage is done.
1994IDI: I didn't end up getting a tow truck, I got a buddy to pull me home.
DO NOT FLAT TOW A ZF5 EQUIPPED TRUCK WITH THE ENGINE SHUT OFF.
why? ZF5's need lubrication supplied to their bearings when in neutral. with the engine running, the input shaft gear actually serves as a pump with the countershaft to bring oil to the main gear cluster. the main gear cluster will turn by the output shaft when being towed in neutral. engine off=no oil circulating.
if you must flat tow, pull the driveshaft.
riotwarrior:

Yes you start the truck in 1st gear...and shift up and down matching revs to speed of vehicle. If you have not ever done it I don't suggest learning while the trucks not fully operational. A good way to practice this wonderful skill, is to use your clutch to start you off normally and go up through the gears and down without the clutch....practice practice practice....it's not all that easy.

Learn this skill/master;Sweet it and you can bout drive any standard anywhere anytime in any situation.I would suggest back roads, with little to no traffic to practice and learn till your comfortable you can do it anytime anywhere...hill starts are the most difficult:rotflmao

I have gotten to where I can go from a stopped engine, start in 1st to 4th and down to 1st without clutch...then a pop to N for stop and turn off truck. Start all over.:sly Lot's of practice I mean lots...
"floating gears" in a ZF is a practice that should only be used in a emergency. it is very ******* the syncros. when you wear out the syncros on a ZF, it is a $500 replacement item over and above the transmission rebuild cost you are already on the hook for.

Please don't find out these items the hard way. I've been dealing with ZF5's since 1993. They are a very durable transmission when treated properly but will bite you in the ass if you think you can treat it like a run or the mill standard trans.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I used to shift without pressing the clutch, by ear, with my '51 Chevy, it had a 4 speed transmission on the floor. The 1st was a very slow low gear and I was able to started it pushing the truck myself until it gain some impulse and jumping inside and engage 2nd gear while keeping the clutch pedal down. Then a quick release and push down again and the truck was running. To start it from zero was OK if I engaged 1st, it jumped like a goat. I didn't like it much because I thought I was putting a lot of stress on the starter also. My little Chevy truck served me well until I sold it for $2,400 in 1998. I still miss that truck.
Burt.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Its not good to do this to a zf5 but in a have to case i will do it, my powerstroke is a zf

I agree but everyone is telling the OP to practice this but he has a zf5 :dunno I agree it is a good skill to have but a ZF5 is not the transmission to practice on. Until my 03 I have always had standard trans and my first truck had a granny gear low and the rear end gears where so low I could blip the throttle and when the rpms came down before they recoverd back to the idle rpm I could slip it into first and get the truck moving with out using the clutch and not using the starter

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
It's a skill that is transferable to any trans I can think of so far that myself have personally driven. ZFNP435 T19/18 M5OD you name it it's doable...maybe some better n others...but doable.

As for the neutral safety..simple clip into two wires and done! will post pics...as It's dark n no flash on cellphone

I agree it's most likely worn oval like in the pics here

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186116
Same article I did for here but some added info in the beginning.

Sure its doable but having never done it and trying for the first time on a zf5 is not a good suggestion. I don't understand why people suggest something that could really screw up his trans just to avoid a tow when obviously it wasn't an emergency.

As for the neutral safety switch I understand its no big deal to those of us that know about it and how to disable it but from the sound of the OP posts he knew nothing of the clutch setup under the dash which would lead me to beleive he would know nothing of the nuetral safety switch either:dunno

1994IDI

Reaction score
Aric, you are correct. I will not be practicing on my zf5. I am going to go out and make sure the pushrod is not "ovalled" out, before going to Ford to get the bushing.

Calvin: I left the engine running while it was being towed. Is there any reason the transmission would not have gotten the proper lubrication? It was about a 2 mile tow.

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I will get back to let you know what happened in awhile.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
You should be fine since the motor was running. You might be ok but my experience says you wore out that plastic bushing/keeper and then the shaft started wearing and with the load being ofset to the side a little bit it wore a tapor on the stud till it slid off.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Alright, a local Ford does have the bushing in stock, but my pushrod does appear to be oblonging. What is the most efficient repair?
Also, does anyone have a clear picture of this whole setup together, so I have an image of what all should be there. Thanks.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be fine since the motor was running. You might be ok but my experience says you wore out that plastic bushing/keeper and then the shaft started wearing and with the load being ofset to the side a little bit it wore a tapor on the stud till it slid off.

yep autozone has that bushing in the help area

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Theres a fix for this on ebay sometimes that replaces the end of the rod with a heim joint but I've never looked into or done this so I have no idea how involved it is to do. I just found an old compression fitting ferrel to use as a bushing and drilled the stud and put a washer on and a cotter pin to hold it

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK MY BAD....FOR SUGGESTING FLOAT GEARS, I just don't understand how people can't with a syncrod trans NP 435 full syncro, BW T18 Syncro 2,3,4 T19 Full syncro M5OD full syncro, ZF full syncro,

Again my bad for suggesting someone learn a very usefull skill, On any trans a noob doing this can cause problems...does not matter which one any trans can be damaged.

NOOBS..DO NOT LEARN TO FLOAT GEARS AND SHIFT WITH OUT THE CLUTCH!

;Poke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online