Clutch pedal hit the floor: need help

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK MY BAD....FOR SUGGESTING FLOAT GEARS, I just don't understand how people can't with a syncrod trans NP 435 full syncro, BW T18 Syncro 2,3,4 T19 Full syncro M5OD full syncro, ZF full syncro,

Again my bad for suggesting someone learn a very usefull skill, On any trans a noob doing this can cause problems...does not matter which one any trans can be damaged.

NOOBS..DO NOT LEARN TO FLOAT GEARS AND SHIFT WITH OUT THE CLUTCH!

;Poke

Now you are beginning to sound like my old granny who wouldn't allow any of the kids to go near the creek until they learned how to swim.

How on earth were they gonna learn to swim if they weren't allowed to go near the water ?? :dunno cookoo LOL

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
As for clutchless shifting, it is a whole lot easier with the bigger/better NON-synchronized transmissions, such as the old GM SM465s, Maxidyne 5-speeds, and such.

The synchronizers in most smallish transmissions sort of foul things up when trying to RPM-match the gears.

It was a whole lot easier to clutch-less shift my T-19 than it is the Getrag 360, simply due to the synchronizers.

I am tempted to completely eliminate the synchronizers, but I don't know for certain that I can do so without having to add something to take their vacant space.

I can shift a lot better without them. ;Sweet
i would keep the 1-2 synchro so that way you could get into gear with clutch in both gears necessary to pull out without much grinding.

Towcat: what if you put the T-Case in he N postion, then that disengages the entire driveline correct?

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
the excess space shouldndt be an issue though, or you could just let the synchros wear out and not replace them

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
Now you are beginning to sound like my old granny who wouldn't allow any of the kids to go near the creek until they learned how to swim.

How on earth were they gonna learn to swim if they weren't allowed to go near the water ?? :dunno cookoo LOL

the exact wording of Riotwarrior's sig "It's too late to read the book on how to swim when the boats going down"
i dont think he meant don float gears at all, just not with a ZF, a t-19 or 18 should be good though :dunno

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
the exact wording of Riotwarrior's sig "It's too late to read the book on how to swim when the boats going down"
i dont think he meant don float gears at all, just not with a ZF, a t-19 or 18 should be good though :dunno

I have floated gears on all the trans, i wont reckomend it to anyone with a zf but it can be done, i usually would do it on my t-19 most everytime just cause i could

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NO I MEANT NOOBS WHO DON'T KNOW HOW SHOULDNT DO IT WHAT SO EVER REGARDLESS OF TRANSMISSION BECAUSE SEVERE CATASTROPHIC FAILURE CAN OCCOUR! ;Poke

I was very fortunate to have had a father who drove truck...and I don't mean sissy 18 wheelers like the new trucks, I mean 5+4 old school and back in the day he plowed some of the first ice roads from Inuvik to Tuktoyuktuck (spelling) That being said he taught me how to properly shift clutchless, and I can do it for just about any trans I have driven, as a matter of fact I try it on every vehicle I drive.

I did it today in the Ranger...no idea trans it worked ok though. Also had some Dog Bone cable let go on the wifes Mustang in summer drove through rush hour traffic from N end of Kelowna out by reids corner S towards Pen...clutchless and it was not easy with stop and go but I did it along with the two hour drive home. Ya....baby...I know it's a freakin car...lol but still a 5sp.

BUT NOOBS...nope don't learn this incredibly usefull skill ever not ever on any trans what so ever! ;Poke:puke:

I have floated gears on all the trans, i wont reckomend it to anyone with a zf but it can be done, i usually would do it on my t-19 most everytime just cause i could

Exactly you do it because YOU CAN!:sly And keep doing Because YOU CAN;Sweet

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
ive shifted gears without the clutch in every manual trans ive had. both zf-5's ive had have done great with it. only reason i started doing it in my first zf is because it still had the dual mass flywheel that had a little tap and i wanted it to last as long as possible LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online