Clutch Master Cylinder Broke Through Firewall

6.9_Idi

6.9idi Owner
Reaction score
Hello everyone my 1985 F250's master cylinder broke through the firewall and I do not know what to do, could a welder repair it? I would love to know if this has happened to any of you, and what you to fix it and what it cost to make the repair?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If it broke through you will want to repair the damage first then add my plate over the repair

This forum member has designed a much better repair plate than Ford designed. Many members have used his design and are completely satisfied with it. Ford did not engineer the firewall strong enough to handle the effects of a hard to operate clutch. Over time the clutch starts getting more and more difficult to push in. then the firewall will flex. Then it cracks. Then it fails in worst case scenarios like yours. Yes... A fair to good welder can fix it well enough to get the plate in place. then you wont have any future issues. Might want to find out why the peddle is so hard to push also. There are many posting about fixing a still clutch peddle here too.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new firewall plate fabed by me, using freebirds plate as a template. then i used his plate behind it for added extra support.

if you busted through you got some welding to do!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
This forum member has designed a much better repair plate than Ford designed. Many members have used his design and are completely satisfied with it. Ford did not engineer the firewall strong enough to handle the effects of a hard to operate clutch. Over time the clutch starts getting more and more difficult to push in. then the firewall will flex. Then it cracks. Then it fails in worst case scenarios like yours. Yes... A fair to good welder can fix it well enough to get the plate in place. then you wont have any future issues. Might want to find out why the peddle is so hard to push also. There are many posting about fixing a still clutch peddle here too.

mine isnt better...its the same bracket ford used to offer but have since discontinued it and will not produce anymore.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not seen one for the OBS.
but one can be made easily.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those plates I haven't installed yet if you want I can post a picture on this thread with measurements later tonight? I got it off a 87 ford if it's the same plate I'll post into later this evening