Clutch Kit for ZF 5 Speed

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Fella's,

I have done some reading around on the forum and read some things about different types of clutch kits for the 5 speed. I am swapping from a c6 so I am looking for a kit that has a single mass flywheel included. I found this kit and it is within my price range. Napa wants 544 for theirs but I am unsure of the make. This here is a Valeo http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3020820&cc=1124200. What do you all think? Of those that know some stuff about different clutch makes.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a kit from Southbend clutch. They make great clutches and offer a kit for our trucks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Napa is made by LUK now, just got one for dans truck. Thank goodness they are LUK the perfections were crap.. Valeo is good also.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a fort wayne clutch. You get a single mass flywheel, kevlar pilot bushing already installed, clutch , pressure plate, thread sealant for the bolts protruding into the oil galleries / pan, alignment tool, and torque specs for everything. Bought it new off ebay for about $350 its one step up from stock to hold more hp.... I used royal purple synchromax to quiet the zf5 after switching to a SMF. Turns out my clutch was never bad all I needed was a new slave and master cylinder, even though mine tested within the moving range straight out of the ford book

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah I know the south bend clutches are great, but also exspensive, I don't quite have 800 bucks to spend lol. I think I'll go with the one from Napa or rock auto. Which one? The luk one or valeo?

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I'll have to look into the fort Wayne clutch, haven't heard of it before. I just the best clutch that 400 bucks will buy. I need other parts to for my conversion.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy a LUK, have the pressure plate checked. Mine was off when I had it checked on a clutch table, and that was right out of the box.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So I went ahead and ordered a Fort Wayne clutch kit. Hope it was a good choice. I have a feeling it'll be better than the Valeo one.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a LUK SM kit and I've had nothing but good luck with it.

Also worth noting that at least the Luk kit takes different clutch kit than the standard dm OEM flywheel - so you may be locking yourself into a certain brand/type of clutch.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the SM conversions I have seen use the same clutch kit, so far.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So I got my kit in today and I am a little confused. On the little flywheel installation notes they said I must use my factor backing plate or something like that and I have no clue what that is but I don't know if my truck will have those because it's a different flywheel.... Any info on this?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help on that... But just to throw this out there for those looking for a performance clutch besides the southbend or valair, cummins clutches have the same shaft size and spline count, so you can re drill your flywheel and run a cummins performance clutch, why? Because they make duel discs, and a powerstroke fuel disc is considerably more than a cummins one, just FYI

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a thin plate that goes between the bolt heads and flywheel. It needs to be there to prevent bolts from digging into the flywheel and loosening.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I used an AMS 12 inch clutch and an AMS single mass flywheel. Im about 5000 miles into my ZF swap now and pretty happy. I can look up the part numbers for you, but I'll have to do it late when I have time.