clutch issues

jiggiwdit

Reaction score
Symptoms are.. clutch grabbing real low to the floor. Doesn't want to go into gear that well. Pedal feels pretty firm.

Things I have checked. MC fluid is filled up and is fine. No flex in the fire wall when clutch is depressed and no visible cracks.

What would be the next steps in diagnosing my problem?

Pedal bushings? MC or slave? Just do not want to blindly spend money if not necessary.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Lee

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
push around at the boot under the dash at the mc...make sure its not leaking fluid out of there....could be the slave...could be the m/c hard to say

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a specific measured distance the slave push rod has to travel, and diagnosis is based on this. Post the measured distance and we can compare to the book.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, when was the last time you greased the throw out bearing? That can make a huge difference in pedal effort and shifting ease.

Heath

jiggiwdit

Reaction score
Never have greased the TOB. Let me rephrase a little what I said before. The clutch pedal kind of just stays down near the floor. I can pick it up more with my foot. The return spring is on there. I assume you have to grease by hand through the inspection plate? What type of grease do you use.

Thanks.

Lee

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never have greased the TOB...... I assume you have to grease by hand through the inspection plate? What type of grease do you use.

Thanks.

Lee

You have to remove the slave cylinder, the boot, and the fork from the side fo the transmission. You have to hand lube it. Any good grease will work. Just don't slop it around too much as it could get onto the clutch disk and that's certainly not going to help matters.

Heath

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Never have greased the TOB. Let me rephrase a little what I said before. The clutch pedal kind of just stays down near the floor. I can pick it up more with my foot. The return spring is on there. I assume you have to grease by hand through the inspection plate? What type of grease do you use.

Thanks.

Lee

If the pedal stays down near the floor and you can pull it up with you hand or foot, my bet is you have a bad clutch slave cylinder. What kind of trans do you have ......... ZF5, C6 or ?????????

As a suggestion, put your vehicle specs in your signature so we know what kind of truck we are talking about..................

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is it any easier to get into gear when everything is warmed up? I have a t-19 in the 85 and I have the same symptoms, but mine go away after its warmed up