Clutch broke

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I wait for the bitter cold morning to warm up, I figured I would start a thread to get some discussion and ideas brewing. Then Ill get out there on the cold ground.

Anywho...

A week ago I had a squeel that sounded like a belt or pulley. I sprayed wd40. It would come and go.
Then, I noticed the squeel was gone but would sound when I pushed the clutch pedal in. A couple shifts later and the clutch pedal got completely stuck up and would not go down. After wiggling the pedal and shifter the pedal went down.
Yesterday, I start the truck in the 15f cold. The clutch pedal is stuck. I press and wiggle a little and it frees up and shifts fine for maybe 8 shifts. It got stuck again, I tried to force it and broke a bolt down by the pedal.

I cannot shift while running not in motion. I can shift freely while not running. I can start in first and shift without the clutch by hitting the right rpms. If I come to a stop, Im stuck in neutral and must turn off the key, put it in first and start her back up. Annoying, but at least I got my truck home.

Now I know, obviousls, I have to fix that bolt by the pedal. But what was causing the pedal to stick? And the squeel? Is a pulley squeel just coinciding with this problem?

This may be a clue.... For the passed 8 months my clutch pedal was a little stiff. When I would splash through a puddle it would become smooth as butter for about 20 mins.

I have recently been through deep mud, deep snow and pulled a motorhome out of the mud. Again Ill mention how cold it is here. 15f low 32f high.

Last edited:

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T19s fluid is good and full. So is master cylinder fluid level. No leaks from s+m cylinders. Tranny is wet but I believe it is diesel. I can see ball bearings in the little view window thing of the tranny/flywheel.

Someone suggested the throwout bearing? Is it greasable? Is a throwout bearing the same as an input shaft bearing and/or pilot bearing?

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the throw out bearing lost its bearings it must be relaced. mine did that.itwas 5 miles from the time i heard the first squeal to when it locked up. ruining my clutch

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am guessing what broke is called the push rod. How do I replace this? Do I need to take off the master cylinder?

I am going to get this clutch moving again first, then head to the throwout bearing. Will I need to drop the tranny? Im not sure about transmissions, so Im begging for oilburners guidance.

Attachments

• 1201161207.jpg
    1201161207.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch

Sadly yes trans removal required for TO bearing...plenty of threads here on that subject thusly I wont go into details of it.

Yes that pushrod is replaceable. There is a retaing clip in the MC that must be released to get old rod out...I made a plastic sleeve from a funnel to slide down rod into MC to dissenguage said clips and draw out old pushrod.

Also the pin on pedal cross shaft arm and eye of pushrod ...how are they worn?? If so then that will need be addressed. If not worn yer lucky.

JM7.3CW Eh!

EDIT.

Also if u pressed that hard...check thoroughly the pedal assembly for wear and cracking and firewall for cracking. Speak to Jason @freebird01 for a reinforcement plate.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the clutch push rod from rock auto. Should be here in a couple days. I see the heim mod. Is that necessary only if your bushings and pin is worn?

Im going to have to make a tool to pull out the old push rod. Does anyone have any pictures or tips for this?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I used screwdrivers to get the clip out, then the rod just came out.
The heim joint mod can be done for any reason. Or no reason in particular.
In my case, the pin and eyelet were worn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The non wrap around fuel line disconnects for spring lock connections work as a removal too also.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh of course the day Id like to go back to that link it does not work. Anyone have the page saved? Or an alternative link?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the throw out bearing didn't weld its self to the trans quil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726