Clutch and IP Questions

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
First off, WOW there is a whole lota information here! I have spend (to my wife's disgust) all afternoon reading through here.

I am looking at a '91 F250 with the 7.3, and a 5spd. The motor was replaced 26k ago... The guy is selling it "cheap" with some problems. I am new to Ford diesel's, but I have a good mechanical mind and have done some wrenching before (Head gasket/rings/bearings my rabbit's diesel a few years back) I can definatly follow instructions/books for just about anything.

Anyway, I have 2 questions

1) The guy says The clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and throwout bearing where done with the motor, all have around 26k on them, but the flywheel was changed over to a solid one without springs (the one with springs was going to be an additional 1200 bucks on the 5000 dollar motor bill) unfortunately the shop installed the wrong clutch disk, it doesn't have springs either, so it causes a rattle. This is a well documented problem and requires the 6.9 clutch disk with springs to cure.

How true is this? Will this work? Anyone have any info that would help me on this? This "rattle" would it cause any damage to the trans or anything like that? Would it be safe to drive it for a while like this, or should this be fixed ASAP?

2) IP problems... It has 3 pumps that come with it. The one that is currently on it is one I put together out of parts, but it didn't work out that well. It can't be timed properly which causes the truck to smoke. One of the other pumps works perfectly, but fuel is by passing a seal internally and coming out the breather hole on the bottom.
I am going to guess that I could take all 3 IP's to a local diesel shop, and the should be able to rebuild an test at least one of them... Any thoughts on what something like this would run me?

Thanks for helping me out, looking forward to joining the IH IDI group with a new (to me) truck!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't help you with Question 1, unfortunately...and I need to start getting educated on clutch setups myself. :)

Question 2...IP's are common failures on these engines, unfortunately. The good news is, compared to IP's for other diesels, these are fairly cheap...typically between $300 and $350 for a rebuilt pump. IMHO, it would be more cost effective to get a replacement pump than it would to try to have the three you've got made into one good pump. DIS has one, so does Midwest Fuel Injection.

Hope that helps some...good luck! And welcome aboard!! :cool

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

#1 - it will be fine what your hearing is roll over noise - nothing to be concerned with - drive and enjoy.

#2 - As Tim said. It will be a better bet to just use one as a trade in on a replacement.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think you could get a rebuilt pump with a heavy discount if you were to trade in all 3 cores. As for the solid flywheel, yes roll over noise is to be expected. I have a disc with springs, and it still makes that noise, so I wouldn't worry about it. You actually get used to it after a while. There is no evidence at present that indicates the transmission is being damaged in any way. Hope you get it! :cool

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Good to hear! Thanks for the info. Now I just got to track the guy down and take a good look at it.
I so need to get back into an oil burner.... been on gas for 4 years now and it's driving me nuts.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Off topic but what is the fuel price over on the rock ?

Here on the Coast its 93 cents a litre which is frustrating when reg gas is in the 80 cent range :mad:

As for the single mass flywheel I have one in my truck no problems with it so far been 2 years now. You do get gear rollover noise I'am used to it now actually it didn't bother me at all I'am so used to old 4spds that growled and howled.

As for the injection system head off to Jims Fuel injection they should beable to get you the proper pump. A rebuilt pump is around 600 dollars I forget what the core charge is.

How many kilometers are on the truck ? I assume if its got a reman engine the truck itself must have 280,000 plus the engine in my truck died at 300,000 kms I wasn't the owner then.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I will have to look again, but last time I filled up our church's bus (about a month ago) it was 88 cents.

If I end up getting the truck I will have to get some details about where this Jim's place is.... right now I don't want to get to excited about it till I got the keys in my hand ;)

From what he said it had about 200,000km on it when the new motor was put in... still not sure what failed on the old motor yet....

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Well, looked at and got the truck today. He drops it off at my place on Thursday.
Looking at that Jim's place for the pump, plus I am looking at batteries, front brakes and tires. I Expect about a month to get it on the road (give or take)

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
That sounds good :thumbsup:

The best place to buy batteries is from Cambodian tire they have the batteries that fit in the Ford diesel trucks I think the series number is Group 65. I bought 2 for my truck been good for 2 years no troubles with them I will definatly buy them again.

For brakes you want togo with Raybestos its the best brake pads out there I have tried them all the Raybestos I'am trying now on my current truck are good. The other option is factory Ford I have been told they work good too. Stay away from Bendix they used to be good but their quality has gone down the terlet.

Ohya stay away from the Cambodian tires I only got 13,000kms out of set of the Roughrider M/Ts they pealed the tread off faster than a person with diarhea peals of sheets of toilet paper.

I found the Bridgestone D661 works good get them at Kal Tire I bite the bullet and bought Michelin LTX M/S for steers at 200 each they are pricey but seem to be worth it. I will definatly buy them again they handle pretty good on this twisty highway good for a little bit of spirited driving in a 7800lb flatdeck :Sly

During the summer I surprised alot of tourist with their fancy sports cars that a dually clings to the road like the truck is on rails the Michelins never let me down.

Oh on edit

The local diesel shop uses Jims Fuel injection they have had good service and sucess from Jims they send all models and all brands to Jims to get repaired. The other place would be Fred Holmes Fuel Injection. You do have Action Fuel Injection on the island I don't know how good they are.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I have been told to stay away from Action Fuel injection here on the Island, pricy and poor service is what a few people have said. Wilson and Proctor has come highly recomended by some now fellow oil burners that I know, so I am going to check them out too.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Wilson and Proctor gave me a price of $656 for a pump, and $32 for a rebuild injector, or $58 for a new one. I am told that 6 of the 8 are new on the motor right now, so it's just going to be pulling them all, getting them tested and replacing the ones that are bad (if any)

Does anyone know of any documentation on the IP, exploded diagrams, assembly tips, or anything like that? I can't wait till thursday night .

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
What is the core charge I was quoted 300 dollars. As for the price of the IP pump I was quoted 611 dollars but that was last year. For new injectors E code I was quoted 60.00 dollars each which is pretty pricey at 480 dollars for the set.

You also have to buy a return line kit which is another 55 dollars you really need to replace the hoses and caps if they haven't been done.

I would go with a rebuilt pump don't try rebuilding one yourself its not worth it. All the local diesel shops in this area that repair small marine diesels to heavy equipment send the pumps away to get rebuilt.

The rebuilt IP pump will outlast the truck you figure you will get 100,000kms out of the truck and she will prolly be junk. If the truck has a rebuilt engine you might aswell do it right and put a rebuilt injection system on it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's start a list of famous Pacifc/KW sayings. Perhaps we can have this made into a sticky.

The rebuilt IP pump will outlast the truck.

You figure you will get 100,000kms out of the truck and she will prolly be junk.

I'm sure there are many more favorites out there. Remember, BC is special, and a much harsher enviroment than anywhere else in the world, so don't hesitate to emphasize that. :rolleyes: