Clutch adjustment help please!

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellow oil burners I need to adjust my clutch on 1989 F-250 w/ZF5 tranny. It has an external slave cylinder but I'm dumbfounded as to adjustments... I hope you can help me out! I have to park it amongst Mercedes and BMWs so as to give them a little class and I enjoy driving it. Gracias, su amigo:mexicanjoe911!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, for starters there is no adjustment on any hydraulic clutch....
You should look at the master cylinder rod bushing, as well as the pedal box bushings. But can be found in a site search.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, for starters there is no adjustment on any hydraulic clutch....
You should look at the master cylinder rod bushing, as well as the pedal box bushings. But can be found in a site search.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you feel a need for a clutch adjustment there is a problem.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the inspection cover and inspect it if possible have someone push the clutch in a few times slow you might see what the problem is

Edit also what makes your u think it needs adjusted

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time putting it in gear. Reverse is the worst offender and going through the gears isn't much fun. I know how to float the gears but this tranny is not set up for it. It started about 3 months ago and has getting worse incrementaly. Plenty of brake fluid in the master cylinder. I watched the slave as my son operated the pedal. It seems it needs a tiny bit more for the TOB to fully engage maybe?? Help!

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck did this and it turned out to be a failed pressure plate... there only needs to be about 1/2" of movement at the end of the fork. I thought it should be more too, and replaced the hydraulics with a prefilled master/hose/slave. Didn't help.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the pushrod where it mounts to the pedal assembly under the dash. it is a known wear area. The pushrod has a hole with a plastic bushing which mounts to a stud on the pedal. Very common problem area which can cause what you are describing.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You either need a clutch, replacement master or slave, or firewall repair. Maybe all of the above.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of this bushing ? I'm used to mechanical linkages. Those I can work on. Looks like Monday will be spent under the truck

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some pictures of the repair/mod I did on my trucks, but not handy to post. Do a youtube search a lot of videos. The bushing under the dash is mechanical. The plastic bushing wears out then the metal parts start wearing. The more wear under the dash the less pushrod movement under the truck

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm just concerned that my clutch engages when my clutch pedal clears the floor by millimeters. You just start letting up on the pedal and it starts moving. Not good in heavy traffic. I have to grab 2nd gear as I'm coasting to a stop. . I guess I'll look at the clutch rod and bushing tomorrow.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here are the pedal bushings.

You must be registered for see images attach

They go here.

Here’s a picture of the firewall reinforcement plate.

Sometimes this gets worn. May want to search clutch heim joint mod.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also with respect to the push rod, I did this instead of the heim joint mod.

I drilled it for a bronze bushing. Then I drilled the shaft for a lynch pin. Don’t know if this is any better or worse than the heim mod. There’s a guy on eBay that sells the heim mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online