Clutch and flywheel

1989 F-250

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to this site and new to the oil burner world. I just bought a 1989 F-250 7.3 idi, the motor is out of a 90, and it has the Borg Warner T-19 4 speed manual. The flywheel started making some knocking noise the other day. So I plan on dropping the trans and putting a new clutch kit and flywheel in. What size clutch disk do I need? 11” 12”? And also what flywheel? Size and mass also please! Thanks in advance!

firehonomichl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the luk single mass flywheel. It’s worth it in the long run. I got mine from partsgeek.com I think it was like $289.00 dual mass flywheels are junk.

1989 F-250

Reaction score
Notenuftime, I don’t know what he got into. All I know is neither are original. I really only seem to notice it in neutral at idle but it sounds horrible and it bugs the hell out of me. Push the clutch in, or take off in gear, the knocking noise goes away. Thank you Firehonomichl, my next question, what size clutch disk do I need? And do I look for a 6.9 clutch kit, or a 7.3idi clutch kit? Considering that trans doesn’t really belong behind that motor..

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Notenuftime, I don’t know what he got into. All I know is neither are original. I really only seem to notice it in neutral at idle but it sounds horrible and it bugs the hell out of me. Push the clutch in, or take off in gear, the knocking noise goes away. Thank you Firehonomichl, my next question, what size clutch disk do I need? And do I look for a 6.9 clutch kit, or a 7.3idi clutch kit? Considering that trans doesn’t really belong behind that motor..
A LUK SMF clutch like I have sounds like something is wrong lol, just clatter tho. The PO might have put this in and that's what your hearing. Is everything else functioning fine??

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're not going to like my suggestion. I think that you need to get to the flywheel to see what you actually have first, before you order any parts. Are you certain that the knocking noise is coming from the flywheel? The dual mass flywheels are known to go bad. They have two different parts that are designed to move (a little bit) separately. If you want to check this, and you do have a dual mass flywheel, you need to crawl underneath the truck and remove the inspection cover that covers the bottom of the transmission bellhousing. Looking up at the flywheel, you can see where the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel. While the transmission's in neutral, you then need to grab that part of the flywheel. If it moves side to side a couple of inches and it moves easily, then the flywheel is bad. A Luk SMF kit will have everything that you need to install it. It comes with a flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and the throw out bearing (I believe that they come with the bearings).
Now, here's the part that nobody else has mentioned and the reason that I said that you need to find out what you have before ordering parts. The input shaft on the four speeds were smaller in diameter than the ones on the ZF5 transmissions. Whoever installed the transmission may have left the clutch and pressure plate form the ZF5 on the engine. That would work, but since the clutch disk has splines that are larger than the ones on your transmission input shaft, eventually, they may wear down and not hold. This is the problem that you occasionally run into when mixing and matching parts. My opinion is that your best bet would be to find another ZF5 to put in your truck and then go with the Luk SMF kit. If you don't want to swap out transmissions, you may be able to order the Luk SMF kit and get a clutch disk for a four speed and use it with the kit.