cleaning out an I.P. let me bounce this off ya

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry this is long winded!!!
So the truck in my sig has a reman 7.3 eng , banks non gated new bb's
when I got it the p.o.(pos mech) had vatozone fetish un matched inj. ect! mpg in town was at 6-7 mixed town/open country running. so my mission is fuel economy as my Gasser will do this pulling.
he told me that for the last year he had only driven it on friday's to pick up his kids and would put 5 gallons in it
(so it never got hot ) I am guessing! I started adding dieselkleen and dex 3 to each tankful in hopes of cleaning it up some.
I may have 1k on it so far, so I don't have solid #'s but ,,, I have flushed out the oil,resealed the cooler put in new bb codes, returns, turned the pump 1 flat (from where who knows)/timed it to 9, this helped some,it pulls well, turning it up did not seem to do jack,,,,I may have another 500 miles on the clock since this was done.
I only use the rig to pull junk so it sits ALOT now the last couple of times it has started to blow some decent light grey/brown smoke from idle when goosed and now when spooled up (this last one only yesterday pulling 8k spooled to 9psi easy under 1150 deg)I lift at 60-65 mph, but if i pin it to the floor it will top out/stop building boost at 1150-almost 1200 deg barley , I have just barley seen 10 psi, so it seems like its adj close to the optimum setting???
Now that it has started smoking some I hope to get it out on the open road to camp (my bellwether for mpg) usually pulling 5k and around 60 miles one way, and see whats up

So here is what I would like to get input on guys,,,,,
could it really be simple purging out of the fuel system that is causing it to finally blow smoke?
could the timing be affected much by this?

this seems less than possible BUT

I was getting ready to order an I.P. thinking it was toast,,, just started seeing that the c.c. levels of output are available from stock to kill settings, so now I wonder what output to look for and also do I NEED a new pump? I will be stress testing the smoke on a run to the coast asafp....
as for pumps ,, the one on the eng. is not factory as far as I can see both of the pumps that came with the truck are newer code superseded from the 88 pump #'s knowing the eng is a reman the pump is unknown.

Thanks for taking the time to read down this far.
appreciate it cb:hail

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I went to get 4 ton of base today'
It seems that its loading up at idle/warm up???
Is this common?
All my miles were on the road I dont recall startup, plus uncle sam was paying

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86