Cleaning gasket surfaces....

sassyrel

Reaction score
there is a 3 inch wide, gasket scraper,,that auto machine shops use..it has a carbide bonded on the cutting edge..dead flat,,and SHARP!!! dont ask. anyway,this is the best thing to get gaskets off, bar none..it also works great for alum, as if you keep it flat to the surface,,you wont gouge,,or take off any alum..was at my friends shop one day, and asked him where he got it..he ordered me one..34 smacks later,,and i use nothing else..i have went, thru a FEW,snap on gasket scrapers.....no wear to this....and no sharpening..ill get the name

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use plastic scrapers... I am afraid to use anything metal, I always manage to screw it up some how lol, its the learning curve.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If cleaning aluminum , USE THE CHEMICAL GASKET REMOVER AND PLASTIC SCRAPER OR RAGS ! yes Im yelling. If you use metal scrapers or wire wheels on aluminum you can kiss any proper sealing goodby, that stuff gouges only too easily, thankfully it lets go of things fairly well, so it's generaly not difficult to get things off with the chemical gasket remover .

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It's called a "super scraper" www.superscraper.com
You must be registered for see images

And yes they are the most AWESOME scraper. ever.

Thanks for the posting and pic.. I'm all in for one of those. I have used all kinds of scrapers over the years. What has worked best for me is a 2 inch wide band saw blade ground down where the end is and the teeth ground odd. That edge is still a hardened area so it works great. Can be sharpened easily too. 1/4 inch cork rubber gasket material built up for the handle makes it hand friendly too.