Cleaning gasket surfaces....

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
What is the best (safest) way to clean gasket surfaces? Anything from thermostat housing to head gasket surfaces....

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fond of the wire wheel, either a bench grinder, die grinder or electric grinder with a wire cup depending on what you're cleaning. Steel wool / scrubby pads sometimes too. There's also a plastic grit impergated brush thing by 3M that works well for aluminum - softer than a wire brush so no danger of scratching. Bloody expensive though!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=GSHFRHCBS6beRJ5GMFSMV0gl

I'm sure someone will scream about how awful wire brushes are, but the fact is they're not bad, provided you're careful. I've even cleaned aluminum head parting surfaces on engines that have no valve cover gasket just a precision fit surface with no problems - just have to be very very careful! :sly

On a normal steel or cast iron surface you'd have to work pretty hard to actually damage the sealing surface with a wire brush. Just don't sit on one spot for 10 minutes or anything crazy. Now, sanding or any kind of power abrasive is a bad idea. Although, modern head surfacers are basically just a big belt sander... LOL

Then I'll usually use brake cleaner and air to give the part a final cleaning.

I've found that trying to scrape or clean with a solvent takes way too long and doesn't give you a good end result. Just my $0.02 though....

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add....I also like to use one of those brass brush things you put on the end of a drill and then wipe clean with acetone.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Be really careful useing acetone. It will get absorbed thru the skin and settles in the kidneys never to leave them... Not a good thing either. I like useing a single edge razor blade fastened to any of the tools for that. Then a kitchen scotchbrite pad and some aerkroil with it. That will chine any steel for sure. Then some brakeclean but no rag wipeing it off because your likely to leave rag fur on the edges of a new machined surface. If a rag leaves behind some fur then use a map or propane torch to burn off whats left. Thats about as clean as you can get something too... Am I just a little over board on this cleanlynees thing... Yes.. But I'm happy too...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be really careful useing acetone. It will get absorbed thru the skin and settles in the kidneys never to leave them... Not a good thing either. I like useing a single edge razor blade fastened to any of the tools for that. Then a kitchen scotchbrite pad and some aerkroil with it. That will chine any steel for sure. Then some brakeclean but no rag wipeing it off because your likely to leave rag fur on the edges of a new machined surface. If a rag leaves behind some fur then use a map or propane torch to burn off whats left. Thats about as clean as you can get something too... Am I just a little over board on this cleanlynees thing... Yes.. But I'm happy too...

Definately a good thing to know since I use acetone from time to time without gloves and only got one good functioning kidney. Thanks for the helpful information Gary.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry to learn about just one good kidney but there is a good side to this. Depending on when you lost function in the other one usually the working one will make up the differance and function as two once did.. But you have to be less than about 25 years old for it to work.. Maybe a little younger.. Been too many years now since learning bout this. Aceytone is a ruff chemical on our bodys. Fans and gloves are the name of the game working around this stuff.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I used brake clean and a putty knife to clean the waterpump.
It was stuck on pretty good so I soaked it in brake clean, then with the putty knife it almost came off in one piece.

I've seen some special gasket removing chemicals, just never tried them.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It happened when I was a little tyke. I had hydronephrosis or something along those lines. They left it in there but it's only at about 15% function. If I were the doc, I would have yanked that baby out of there lol. Still gives me problems from time to time. Anyways that's a good safety precaution to know and thanks for sharing.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used brake clean and a putty knife to clean the waterpump.
It was stuck on pretty good so I soaked it in brake clean, then with the putty knife it almost came off in one piece.

I've seen some special gasket removing chemicals, just never tried them.

Forgot about the putty knife. Those things are great for scraping old gaskets off

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Forgot about the putty knife. Those things are great for scraping old gaskets off
I may not have called it the right thing. LOL
It may be a paint scraper. It's metal and old, that's about all I know.
But I know it's the first thing I grab when going to do some sort of gasket work. Hasn't failed me yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle